Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Increases as Night Progresses
AHI Increases as Night Progresses
Hey All,

I am a recently diagnosed OSA patient. I am currently about 3.5 weeks into treatment with the following prescription:

CPAP: DreamStation APAP
Min Pressure: 5.0
Max Pressure: 10.0

After a couple of weeks on the CPAP, my AHI was around 6.0. After reading around the boards here, I upped my minimum pressure to 6.5 which seemed to have helped dramatically, and my AHI is averaging about a 3.0 and my clear airway events remained around 0.3.

I noticed a trend that early in the night my AHI is extremely low, but as the night progresses it seems to increase.

Looking at the charts, it looks like my 10.0 maximum is at a good place as I rarely reach the max. My 90% pressure is 7.9. Should I increase the minimum pressure to 7.0 and see if that helps?

Thanks in advance!

[attachment=2199]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Increases as Night Progresses
Not sure what the chart is saying since I've not seen one like it before. In that middle graph, what do the bottom numbers represent? The 0-10? That's not the time of night, I can tell that.

But...AHI is the number of events divided by time. So there are two factors involved in determining the AHI. As time goes on during the night, the AHI is going to change. Go down sometimes, go up others.

Other factors to consider is sleeping position. It could be you roll over onto your back later in the night which increases the likelihood of events which also increases the AHI.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Mateobus,
In reply to your question, it wouldn't hurt to raise the minimum pressure to 7cm.
It may tackle some of those hypopneas. The max pressure looks ok.

Once you make a change, try to keep it for at least a week to 10 days.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2016, 02:48 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Not sure what the chart is saying since I've not seen one like it before. In that middle graph, what do the bottom numbers represent? The 0-10? That's not the time of night, I can tell that.

But...AHI is the number of events divided by time. So there are two factors involved in determining the AHI. As time goes on during the night, the AHI is going to change. Go down sometimes, go up others.

Other factors to consider is sleeping position. It could be you roll over onto your back later in the night which increases the likelihood of events which also increases the AHI.

The 0-10 are the number of hours so after 4 Mateobus was in the 4th hour of PAP use.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mateobus,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you much success with your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Machine Increases Pressure Without Input JeffNC 7 397 01-30-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 831 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 678 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] AHI consistently increases through the night RTurner 7 1,000 12-11-2022, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Pressure Increases w/o Events Steptoe 3 595 05-03-2022, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.