Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changing Pressure settings
Changing Pressure settings
I was curious if changing your pressure too often is bad? I admittedly am throw stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks now.

I adjust my pressure based on breathing and how I feel, but sometimes I find myself jumping back and forth between higher/lower setting or fixed vs auto based on how I feel. 

Is it better to just set it and let it ride for a few weeks before tweaking or do you find yourself adjusting it alot?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changing Pressure settings
It's always better to give any changes several days or a week before a re-evaluation is made. In addition, you would generally want to only make a couple of changes at a time to keep track of what works and what doesn't. 

There's really no way to effectively evaluate what changes need to be made without the proper data. You should definitely begin using a comprehensive program like OSCAR or equivalent. You can post your charts here for expert evaluation. Take a look at OSCAR here.

OSCAR - The Guide - Apnea Board Wiki
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
I would download Oscar, it tells you what pressure you breathe at night when your sleeping and you can make appropriate adjustments to fine tuning instead of guessing.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are far too many factors that go into sleeping to change your settings too often. Everything from food intake, to stress levels, to tiredness levels, to alcohol intake, etc etc.

Like others have said:

- make changes slowly and only one or two at a time. Give at least a week for things to settle in.
- either use OSCAR or write down the data each day from your machine to determine if the setting change is making a difference
- also consider keeping a journal while you are making these changes. Note what the settings are, what kind of day you had, any differences from the day before (more or less alcohol or bad day at work, for example).
- The idea here is to determine what is "normal" for YOU and your life.

Using the data and the journal, you can determine how things are going. But, really, as long as you feel well rested and the AHI is below 5, you're doing good.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Let's see what you daily charts show.  That will give us a basis for suggesting changes
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi supyasieve.

I kind of made it a personal rule of mine to make only one small change at a time early on. (As in 2 cmH2O at a time) And to hold that setting for a week. Evaluate, then make another small change as necessary. It took a little while to hone in on the perfect settings, but I actually found myself very well educated and in tune with my body's needs such that I was fine tuning in the tenths. And I could actually feel a difference with those very small changes.

The downside, if there is one, is that you may have to tweak those "perfect" settings as time marches on. But at least you know what to do and how to proceed.

On a side note... Expect that your headgear will stretch over time and may need a little snugging-up after a while. That can sometimes be misconstrued as machine setting issues.

Post some OSCAR charts and see what the experts recommend. I owe them many thanks for getting me dialed in pretty quickly.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,550 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 397 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 362 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.