Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Optimization
AHI Optimization
My AHI is typically under 5, but I'm wondering if further improvement is possible.  I just recently started using SleepyHead and have been trying to utilize
all this new found data to see if I can improve my results even more.  While overall I feel pretty good,  I'm not convinced that my typical nights sleep couldn"t be even better.
My most recent results were an AHI of 1.85, CA 1.0, OA .28, H .57, Large leak 8.16%, flow limit 95% value .08,  snore 95% value .12.   I have started a spreadsheet where I record
variables that could affect my results like alcohol consumption, tranquilizer use, mask and strap configuration, etc.    I would have thought that this was about as good as I can do, but when I review SleepyHead data from six months ago, I see that for a long period I was consistently getting AHi values under 0.5.   So my first question- am I wasting my time trying to further improve my results further?  Second question- based on my most recent results, any suggestions for things to try for more improvement.   Last question- can anyone shed light on how to regard the flow limit values.  My nightly results for the last week are flow limits from .08 to .28.   I've interpreted my flow limit values to be a reflection of breathing restrictions.  I have tried also wearing a breathrite strip on my nose at night, but it always comes loose I'm guessing because of the high humidity inside my nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Optimization
It is more likely that the oils on your nose are loosening the adhesive. Oils and adhesives are in the same large chemical family and chemists will tell you "like dissolves like". Try using a good oil-removing cleaner on your nose and see if that helps keep the strip adhering. I like the foaming facial wash by Neutrogena.

I didn't see any linked graphs of your data, so I can't tell if there is anything going on there that is key. The visual displays are good for identifying things that co-occur.

For obstructive events, if you're not already sleeping on your side, you might give that a try as it is known for reducing obstructive events for many. If you also have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux), sleeping on the left side is preferred as it helps discourage that. Propping the head of the bed up some may help too.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
When was the last time you changed your mask cushion? A worn cushion can cause an increase in leaks, also.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I'll try the facial wash.  Still haven't totally figured out linking graphs
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2017, 07:47 PM)Ctyankee Wrote: ... Still haven't totally figured out linking graphs

Lets break down the major steps to figure out where you need help with this.

Step 1 is to open up SleepyHead, go to the display you want to show; there's a link in my signature to the preferred layout.
Now, take a screenshot with either function key 12 or the menu bar's View, Take Screenshot.
Notice where the file gets automatically saved by SleepyHead, as you'll need to be able to find the file.

Once you've made it that far, then Step 2 is setting up an account with Imgur or other online file sharing service (ex Google Drive), and following the instructions on how to upload a file to that account.

Step 3 is getting the information to create a link we can follow to see your screen shot.

Where are you getting stuck in this process?

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a screenshot  I have an Imgur account, but can't follow the directions for getting the screenshot linked
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ctyankee,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2017, 08:48 PM)Ctyankee Wrote: I have a screenshot  I have an Imgur account, but can't follow the directions for getting the screenshot linked

One more post and it should not be a problem.  Just post the image URL between IMG tags.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah - if you try to post a link before you've made 4 unique posts, that is blocked.
Just need another post from you and then it should work.
Meanwhile, what you can do with the link is to put some blanks in it, and we can take that, remove the blanks, and go to that page.

Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=3269]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 427 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  New to CPAP, help with optimization spsalv 5 369 01-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: spsalv
  [Treatment] First stab at optimization Ferloft 5 604 12-05-2023, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Ferloft
  Therapy optimization help!!! xaid 7 783 06-27-2023, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oxygen concentrator as non-medically indicated optimization? cyrial 3 465 06-05-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: cyrial
  [Treatment] Koala1 - Moving to Resmed, aerophagia, please help with optimization koala1 101 7,187 05-27-2023, 03:52 AM
Last Post: koala1
  Fragmented Sleep, FLs, Suspected UARS, REM Related. 5 Months of Optimization + EERS. pineh 10 2,524 08-09-2022, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Silvia10

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.