Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Panic limit
Question 
AHI Panic limit
Just out of interest what do forum members set as their own AHI panic limit? I mean at what AHI do you become concerned, rightly or wrongly, that you are having a bad run of therapy. I used to be fairly concerned if it was up to 1.5 AHI, however I am now becoming much calmer about the odd night like that. Much more important to consider my long term trend, which is .47 over the last three months. I am weaning myself off looking at my Sleepyhead or Resmed data each day. I am only downloading weekly now Rolleyes The next step is to only do it once a fortnight and remember that if I feel well then it's going OK. Okay

James
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Panic limit
If it is less than 5, all is well. It isn't necessary to work to get it to zero because you'll never reach it. I doubt many "normal" folks have zero AHI every night.

Like what you are doing, figure out what your range is. Norm is this. Crazy tension filled week at work is this. Vacation is this. Alien abduction (no clue why it went so high) nights are this. Then just collect data and keep an eye on it. If there is a wild night or three, make a note of what you did the day before. Then see if the same thing(s) happen the next time you have a wild night.

BUT, the main thing? it really isn't the AHI you know. It's how you feel. Do you wake up feeling rested? Do you have the energy reserves you need to get through the day? That's the true goal. AHI is just a backup to prove or disprove our un-measurable feelings of glee from a good night's sleep and not yawning all day.

The secondary goal is to take charge of the information, and not let it take charge of you. Learn about it, understand it, then grasp it. And don't forget to share what you have learned with others here.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Forgot to add:
I've had nights where I wake up feeling freakin' fantastic. Yet have an AHI of over 6. And I've woken up feeling like I was run over by a busload of alien ninjas and had an AHI of less than 1. I hate those ninjas.

My "what the heck happened" nights (which I call Alien Abduction Nights) is when the AHI is anything higher than 4. I typically stay well below that. If I see anything less than 1.5, I tap the machine to wake it up 'cause it can't be right.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
My normal is below 1, rarely above two. Last night was 32 in four hours. Yes, thirty two. I woke up thinking someone was wrong with the machine but at 3AM it was probably the squidgy meat bag the mask was on. I took off the mask, shut off the machine, and "slept" for four more hours. My throat is sore today, snoring I guess, but I feel not too bad. Unless this becomes a pattern, I won't worry about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I desat very fast into the 60s after one long ie 60 sec or more, or a cluster of OA s.
2.5 ahi is actually quite a few events in a night. I cant tolerate em. So whatever it takes to stay under 2, mostly under 1 is what I gotta do.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 147 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 497 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 325 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982
  CPAP for panic attacks HalfAsleep 3 282 02-03-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.