Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Reading with SleepyHead
AHI Reading with SleepyHead
I am a 30 day old CPAP'er and would like to know what the AHI number reported by SleepyHead represents. Is it the number of apnea and hypopnea events per hour that occurred or the number that were not corrected by the machine? I have read that the AHI should be less than 5, less than three and some say zero. SleepyHead reports my number for the last 30 days as 20.02. The latest Daily Events lists Clear Airway Apnea 121 events, Hypopnea 18 Events and Obstructive Apnea 111 events. I have not had any improvement in energy etc. since I started using the machine. I have a ResMed Auto Set that is set for 11 per the doctors prescription. Thank you for any assistance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Reading with SleepyHead
There's a lot of alphabet soup. I don't use Sleepyhead but I can help with the acronyms.

AHI (apnea-hyponea index) is the apnea count (no breath) plus the hypopnea count (shallow breath) divided by the number of hours. So an AHI of 5 during an 8hr night would mean you had 40 events during the entire night. You want that AHI to be less than 5.

AI is apnea index which is the apnea events count divided by hours.

The event is defined as one lasting more than ten seconds. Your machine will correct those events. That's what its purpose is. Since the airway will not open immediately after the air is increased, the time each one lasts can vary.

You have an Autoset. You say it is set to 11 but your profile says 5-17. If your APAP is set to 'straight' CPAP, that'd be kinda silly for a new user.

What are the other numbers Sleepyhead reports? What pressure does your machine use the most? I think it is referred to as the 95th percentile or something.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dragonflyoh, First, WELCOME! to the forum.! I don't know the answer to your question but hang tight and there will be other suggestions. Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2012, 01:22 PM)dragonflyoh Wrote: I have a ResMed Auto Set that is set for 11 per the doctors prescription. Thank you for any assistance.
Hello dragonflyoh and welcome to the board
First of all I would suggest to download ResScan, Its deigned for ResMed machines and when you followup with your doctor, The doc more likely would have no clue about SH. The events that the machine detected are the events the machine couldn't stop in time ....it could be pressure need to be adjusted, prolong high leak above 24 L/min in this case the S9 can no longer able to compensate and guarantee of the accuracy of the data and most importantly sleep apnea when you,re asleep ....so if the bulks of those events detected as you drift to sleep or awake ....they don,t matter and ought to be discarded. The S9 cannot tell whether you were awake or asleep when the apnea events detected.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the responses. Sorry for the confusion. I changed the setting on the machine to AUTO with pressure 5 - 17. The sleep study results said 11 which is what the prescription is for and the setting I was using up until last evening.
The most recent 95% pressure is 15.04 , which is the one day it was on Auto. For the last 30 days it is 14.86
The most recent average pressure is 10.31 and for the last 30 days is 7.47
The average Leaks is 3.18 for last evening and 2.01 for the last 30 days.
The 95% leaks is 14.4% for last evening and 15.60 for the last 30 days.
Post Reply Post Reply
I missed the ResScan suggestion while I was responding to the previous post, thank you. I will give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2012, 03:18 PM)dragonflyoh Wrote: I changed the setting on the machine to AUTO with pressure 5 - 17. The sleep study results said 11 which is what the prescription is for and the setting I was using up until last evening.

Let's see if the new setting brings your AHI down. Were you diagnosed with simple OSA?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2012, 03:18 PM)dragonflyoh Wrote: The sleep study results said 11 which is what the prescription is for and the setting I was using up until last evening.
The most recent 95% pressure is 15.04 , which is the one day it was on Auto. For the last 30 days it is 14.86
The most recent average pressure is 10.31 and for the last 30 days is 7.47

This can't be right. If you were on a constant pressure of 11 cm for 29 of the last 30 nights your 95% pressure and your average pressure for the last 30 days would be much much closer to 11.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The numbers as of 8/23
Details Most Recent Last 7 Days Last 30 Days
AHI 32.04 24.59 20.50
Hours per Night 06:55 06:10 05:25
Average Pressure 11.16 11.05 7.89
95% Pressure 15.60 15.00 14.98
Average Leaks 2.56 2.23 2.10
95% Leaks 16.80 15.60 15.60

The numbers are the same with the ResScan software. I am going to call the doctor and see if he can explain the readings. Will post the results.
Post Reply Post Reply
The AHI is the sum of the obstructive apnea (OA) index, the central apnea (CA) index, and the hypopnea index.

We need to know what those three separate indices are. If the largest by far is the CA, that's an indication that your pressure may be too high. If the CA is by far the smallest of the three, then that's an indication that your pressure may be too low.

Look on the software and see what the pressure settings were for that first month. Before you changed them.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 20 988 03-08-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  Help with reading OSCAR and adjusting settings deirdrepen 2 237 01-24-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Help reading Oscar Charts Wisurid 3 385 12-25-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Would like some help reading my OSCAR data dynamo 13 669 12-08-2023, 11:38 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Low Tidal Volume reading rhwoe 8 741 12-04-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: rhwoe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.