Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Reading with SleepyHead
RE: AHI Reading with SleepyHead
I've only been at this for a week day 8 tonight but my AHI average is 0.7 i believe. I am happy i am responding well though as i thought i wouldn't have been. I think everyone is different though and everyone will have different aHI's i didn't know doctors expected it to be under a certain amount?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2012, 08:50 PM)mysticaldreamz Wrote: I've only been at this for a week day 8 tonight but my AHI average is 0.7 i believe. I am happy i am responding well though as i thought i wouldn't have been. I think everyone is different though and everyone will have different aHI's i didn't know doctors expected it to be under a certain amount?

Well, it's just a result of research. An AHI of 5-15 is considered mild sleep apnea, so anthing below 5 is considered "normal".
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think how I feel is far more important indicator if the therapy is working or not than AHI index.
I could feel like crap in the morning with AHI zero point something and might feel fantastic with AHI 2 or 3.
Beside I have no control of what AHI gonna be in the morning
I can try to control leaks so hoping I can sleep more than 6 hours without any interruption
Post Reply Post Reply
The readings are:

While Set at 11 Set to Auto (5 - 17)
obstructive apnea (OA) index 4.5 9.4
central apnea (CA) index 13.3 11.2
hypopnea index 1.0 1.6

I was diagnosed with OSA. I wouldn't be looking at the numbers except using the CPAP machine has not made me feel better and I am hoping that the numbers will point to a solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
Were you able to confirm that during that 29-day period the machine was actually set at a constant pressure of 11 cm?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2012, 12:03 PM)dragonflyoh Wrote: The readings are:

While Set at 11, Set to Auto (5 - 17)
obstructive apnea (OA) index 4.5 9.4
central apnea (CA) index 13.3 11.2
hypopnea index 1.0 1.6

Hi dragonflyoh,

Welcome to the Forum!

You didn't say whether the results you posted are for two separate days, or whether the results for CPAP are a long term average of many days and the results for APAP are a short term average of a couple days.

It is really too early to properly conclude anything from just the few days on Auto mode, but if the short term trend turns into a long term trend, then it may be that because your pressure using Auto mode is sometimes lower than 11, you have more obstructive events in Auto mode. And if your Central Apnea Index is lower using Auto mode, that may be a side effect of the times the pressure is lower while in Auto mode, since most sleep therapists seem to be of the opinion that (at least for some patients) higher pressure can increase a patient's number of Central events.

With your present treatment for OSA, your CA index is above 5.0, and I think this should qualify you for a different type of machine.

Your doctor may need to prescribe an Adaptive Servo Ventilator machine, such as the new ResMed S9 Adapt SV, which may be able to treat both your obstructive events and your central events, by raising the pressure to treat obstructive events and by effectively breathing for you when your Central Nervous System takes a little holiday from breathing.

I suggest you work closely with a doctor on this, if you continue to feel not much better with CPAP or APAP treatment modes.

Or, you may need to find a new sleep doctor who has experience with ASV treatment mode, if you find out your present doctor is unwilling to try something new. Unfortunately, it seems that happens some times.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2012, 01:48 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Were you able to confirm that during that 29-day period the machine was actually set at a constant pressure of 11 cm?

Yes. I looked at the settings using ResScan.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2012, 07:39 AM)dragonflyoh Wrote: Yes. I looked at the settings using ResScan.

So it was set at a constant pressure of 11 cm, yet the actual pressure varied from 11 cm by quite a large amount? For example you said that the 95% pressure was 14.86. This means that 5% of the time your pressure was above 14.86 cm. This shouldn't happen if you've got the machine set at a constant pressure of 11 cm.

There is either something wrong with your machine, or with the data you are reporting.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeptster, can you help me understand what you just said about CA readings being caused by pressure too high (perhaps you were saying simply that they are associated)?

Here's why I'm asking. I am using a Resmed S9 set at pressures 6.8-14. After about six months of AHI readings shown on the rescan software under 5, lately, I have been getting the occasional readings in excess of 5 (about every 3 or 4 days). When the readings are in excess of 5, they are composed of unusually high CA readings, plus OA readings of less than 4. Are you saying that something about these pressure settings may be causing or associated with the higher CA readings? Is there some change in pressure settings that may be indicated? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2012, 03:39 PM)captain6 Wrote: Sleeptster, can you help me understand what you just said about CA readings being caused by pressure too high (perhaps you were saying simply that they are associated)?

Some people will develop central apneas only with CPAP pressure. As you increase the pressure the level of CAs increase. For these people, you may need to balance eliminating obstructive apneas against generating CA's. Some people have to go to bilevel or ASV machines because they can't fix OA without causing CA.

Not everyone gets CA even at high pressure. Some people get CA even without CPAP.

I always recommend anyone with CA to be sure and look at their data and see how long the CAs last and how severe they are. Remember a CA isn't necessarily worse than on OA in terms of what it does to your body. It's just harder to treat.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 20 991 03-08-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  Help with reading OSCAR and adjusting settings deirdrepen 2 237 01-24-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Help reading Oscar Charts Wisurid 3 385 12-25-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Would like some help reading my OSCAR data dynamo 13 669 12-08-2023, 11:38 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Low Tidal Volume reading rhwoe 8 741 12-04-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: rhwoe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.