Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Readings Appear High - New to OSA
AHI Readings Appear High - New to OSA
I was diagnosed with OSA January 2016. I just received my CPAP last week. In addition to seep apena I was tested for Excessive Daytime Sleepiness (EDS) the following day. The doctor is thinking Narcolepsy (considering my history along with the results – I fell asleep each session within minutes and slept the entire time, I believe there were 5 sessions for the day. Anyway, I digress.

During the initial test (first night) my oxygen saturation was as low as 73 percent with 84 events resulting in desaturation less than 90 percent. Total sleep time was 10.1 hours. Sleep onset latency was 3.5 minutes. My REM onset latency was markedly delayed at 380.5 minutes.

I’m using a Respironics DreamStation with a Heated Humidifier and an AirFit F10 mask. I have 5 nights under my belt. The AHI results are 3.36, 12.96. 13.61, 11.35 and 9.85 respectively (8/31/16 to 9/4/16). Pressure is set to 10 with a ramp of 5. SleepyHead is reporting unfavorable results. With the exception of the first day, I am concerned with the results. See screenshots of Statistics, Daily Data and the 5-day Overview.

It was my understanding that the CPAP would improve my AHI. Provide me with a better sleep. Reduce or rid me of the symptoms (e.g., excessive daytime sleepiness, severe and unyielding pain in my joints, muscles and bones, cognitive and short-term memory loss, etc.). No remarkable improvements.

Any thoughts on my situation and my AHI results?

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Readings Appear High - New to OSA
You won't see changes overnight, and you've only been on therapy 5 days.

Although every one is different.

When you get the required post count, send us a screenshot of the lastest day. The following will
show you what we need to see.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

We can't advise you to adjust pressure until we can see your data, as we don't know the breakdown of your apneas, or if you have a high leak rate.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
These machines are not as precise as a sleep lab. Not everything they assume is an event really is (e.g. it has not way of know if you are asleep or coughing, or rolling over). Disturbed sleep is not uncommon as you get used to this and disturbed sleep can be scored as higher AHI numbers. Relax, try and get used to the mask (e.g. ignore it) and see how it looks in a week's time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's see if it works using TNET.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/hUUIO"><a href="//imgur.com/hUUIO"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Post Reply Post Reply
Need to know the type of events that make up that AHI > 5.0
If obstructive, then you are under-served by the pressure setting.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ken just break the links to Imgur by adding a space to fool the anti spam filter.
We make new users have 4 posts and 4 hours to prevent forum spammers.
In general we do not permit broken links; but will for newbies who are legitimately posting their screenshot for help.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for feedback justMongo.

I believe I have it this time. I'm going to get my 4.

Ken

Post Reply Post Reply
Ken, I am new to all this too, just three weeks in. My numbers were much like yours. I noted the first couple of weeks is sort of an adjust, Inhad bot and and bad nights. That said, two things got me more on track. The first was an increase in pressure; I was at 9 and the RT suggested move up to 10, and add auto range 10-15. That seemed to bring my numbers down in to mid single didgets; one night under 3. Most inportant thing is to stick with it, and look at a change in pressure. Add an auto range if your machine will do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ken Middleton,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to make 4th post substantive.

I am impressed with the prompt and helpful responses, they are very much appreciated.

I must say that the response from chill is a bit concerning; there is no point in having a CPAP that generates unreliable data. As to it's functionality and ability to help with my OSA/EDS that is to be seen as I will be the judge of that for the most part.

Thank you.

Ken

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 50 Yesterday, 01:27 PM
Last Post: xaid
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 65 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,323 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 23 543 03-13-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 171 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 270 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR High AHI Frequent CA's - New to CPAP nixontahoe 9 329 03-04-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.