Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Wipe I Like Contains BHT Butylated Hydroxytoluene
Mask Wipe I Like Contains BHT Butylated Hydroxytoluene
I like the wipes but don't like the BHT. Any suggestions?

This is a quick search of the side effects:
Subchronic feeding and intraperitoneal studies in rats with BHT at lower doses produced increased liver weight, and decreased activity of several hepatic enzymes. In addition to liver and kidney effects, BHT applied to the skin was associated with toxic effects in lung tissue.

Health and Environmental Hazards

BHA and BHT can induce allergic reactions in the skin [1]. The International Agency for Research on Cancer classifies BHA as a possible human carcinogen [2]. The European Commission on Endocrine Disruption has also listed BHA as a Category 1 priority substance, based on evidence that it interferes with hormone function [3].

Long-term exposure to high doses of BHT is toxic in mice and rats, causing liver, thyroid and kidney problems and affecting lung function and blood coagulation [4]. BHT can act as a tumour promoter in certain situations [5]. Limited evidence suggests that high doses of BHT may mimic estrogen [6], the primary female sex hormone, and prevent expression of male sex hormones [7], resulting in adverse reproductive affects.

Under the Convention for the Protection of the Marine Environment of the North-East Atlantic, BHA is listed as a chemical of potential concern, noting its toxicity to aquatic organisms and potential to bioaccumulate [8]. Likewise, a United Nations Environment Program assessment noted that BHT had a moderate to high potential for bioaccumulation in aquatic species (though the assessment deemed BHT safe for humans) [9].
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Wipe I Like Contains BHT Butylated Hydroxytoluene
I take it you are just wiping the cushion....the squishy pliable parts?  I would just use isopropyl alcohol wipes if wipes are what you prefer to use.  Hands wipes that are meant to cool and sanitize, or even the wipes for camera lenses will do if you have plenty lying about.

Personally, I remove the cushion and wash it with my fingertips under warm water and liquid dish soap.  Once a week I sanitize it, the tube with diffuser/exhaust grating, and the hose between them and the machine using a solution of potassium metabisulphite.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are CPAP wipes that are free of fragrance and hazardous chemicals. I think I got a free container from Supplier #1 when I ordered a mask once. At under $10 per package of 62 wipes, it's a reasonable cost. Lower prices with shipping on Amazon. My preference is just to wash with a mild dish soap and rinse. I have heard alcohol wipes can adversely affect the silicone, so I would avoid that. There are a lot of options out there to avoid BHT.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are we allowed to say the brand of wipes here? It would be good to be able to know what actual brands of wipes we are discussing and what wipes others recommend. The brand with the BHT is like 2 oranges or 2 lemons.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2018, 09:23 AM)player Wrote: Are we allowed to say the brand of wipes here? It would be good to be able to know what actual brands of wipes we are discussing and what wipes others recommend. The brand with the BHT is like 2 oranges or 2 lemons.

You can say the brand name, but no links to DME’s or other commercial sites.

In the morning, I just wash my nasal pillow with warm water and dawn soap, then let dry. It takes no more than a minute.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wipe my mask daily with unscented babywipes and wash weekly with dish soap and warm water
Post Reply Post Reply
The brand with BHT is Citrus II CPAP Wipes. They are really good but... contain a poison.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,523 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,205 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,093 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,830 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,528 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.