Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Summary
AHI Summary
Please let me know if my assumption is correct. I am posting 3 attachments on my sessions on AHI last night. My first attachment is the combination of my first and second sessions equaling 4.69 AHI. The second attachment is showing first session only. The final attachment is the total minus the second session since I was wide awake the entire time. I'm not sure how it records apnea's and hypopneas when I am laying there awake. My true AHI would be 2.75 since that was the first session from 8:30 PM to 2:05 AM and the 11.36 should be discarded, correct? I don't want to tell the sleep doctor if it's not correct. It looks like my pressure is maxing out. Any suggestions on where it should go? Maybe 14?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Summary
Hi Michael,

CPAP machines don`t know when you`re asleep so your assumption is correct.  If you were awake the entire time of the second session, then those results would be considered junk data.  It`s easy to fool a cpap machine that you are having an event.  Just hold your breath for 10 seconds.  We tend to hold our breath when we roll over and our breathing is much more irregular when we are awake as opposed to asleep.  CPAP`s record all that junk. 

Your machine is maxing out at out at 13 cm for a good portion of your first session.  If these were my charts, I would increase the upper pressure to 16 and see where it goes.  You also appear to have 2 clusters of obstructive events and long periods of nothing going on so you may have positional obstructions happening such as tucking your chin while sleeping.  A cervical collar may help you keep your airway open.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fedman,

Thank you for your response. I truly appreciate it. In the past when I increased max pressure over 14 my FFM always leaked. I have been on therapy for about 1-1/2 years and still have not found a mask that is right for me. I am presently using the Respironics Wisp Nasal, a Dr. Dakota cervical collar and tape, and it has given me the best results over all but I truly hate taping my mouth. I started the collar 2 weeks ago but the numbers have gotten worse so I will try it for another week or two just to see if I have to adjust to it. Thanks again for your help.

Michael
Post Reply Post Reply
In your results posted above, I am very surprised at the difference in tidal volume between the two sessions. The earlier session averaged only 260 mL while the second averaged 700 mL for an overall average of 300. That is a significant spread and while your event rate was lower in the first session, your respiratory volume was very low. Note also the difference in respiratory rate. Hard to say what was causing this, but even though the first session had a lower AHI, I think it was the worse session. Might be worth looking at more closely.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider,

I guess I am confused as you say the 1st session may have been the worst. (2.75 AHI) The second session was 11.36 AHI but I disregarded this as I was wide awake from 2:04 AM to 3:39 when I gave up trying to go back to sleep. I am assuming the 4.69 AHI is an average of the first and 2nd sessions. I am curious as I switched pillows to a lower pillow from a "My Pillow" which held my head up higher than the new one. My neck is stiff in the mornings the last few days and I am curious if that may have played any factor?
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I tried to sleep without taping and went back to a firmer pillow. I seemed to have very little issues with snoring, but  seemed to have issues with OA's.  I also was able to fall back to sleep after a midnight nature call which hasn't been happening much lately. I felt fairly rested considering I only had my Wisp nasal mask and a cervical collar. Please let me know what I can do to get these numbers where they need to be.

On a good note after all my struggles trying to find a decent DME I am hoping the search has ended. They are ordering a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset as I have asked for from 2 other DME's (one only carried Respironics) and I won't have to use an 8 year old System One I borrowed from my son.

[attachment=7533]
Post Reply Post Reply
Michael, I'm glad you will finally get your own updated machine. That's good news. It might help if we looked at some closeups of the flow rate, no more than 2-minutes each. Just curious to see the wave-form and what is contributing to the low tidal volume.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote pid='266824' dateline='1532522737']
Michael, I'm glad you will finally get your own updated machine. That's good news. It might help if we looked at some closeups of the flow rate, no more than 2-minutes each.  Just curious to see the wave-form and what is contributing to the low tidal volume.
[/quote]

Sleeprider, I have attached a part of the flow rate. I hope it helps. I have to read the article on tidal wave as I am not sure what it means. Also I am wondering if my Afib contributes greatly to my numbers? 

[attachment=7534]Sleeprider
Post Reply Post Reply
I was looking for a shorter segment, but this shows that you are inhaling through the mask and exhaling around it somehow. What goes in, must come out, and in your case it doesn't.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7534]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2018, 05:57 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I was looking for a shorter segment, but this shows that you are inhaling through the mask and exhaling around it somehow.  What goes in, must come out, and in your case it doesn't.

Breathing out the mouth? Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 328 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
Question O2 Pattern familiar? in Summary in Wellue/Viatom's ViHealth app DavidEsp 6 778 04-16-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: DavidEsp
  OSCAR data showing summary only DadDio79 10 1,048 12-23-2021, 11:33 PM
Last Post: DadDio79
  [Equipment] Summary data only dickydutch 5 993 08-25-2021, 06:24 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question New here, loaded data to OSCAR - only summary data swampbastard99 5 1,802 03-10-2020, 01:43 PM
  sleepyhead/Airsense 10 (summary data only) JohnnyGobbs 15 3,428 02-21-2017, 03:12 PM
  Feedback On My Polysomnogram Summary? harmon k 6 1,586 02-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Beej

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.