Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI TREATED OR NOT?
AHI TREATED OR NOT?
Hi folks,

I've been using a RESMED S9 auto for two years. My AHI ratings are consistently about 18-35. Nothing I do, no settings I set can lower this. Does this mean the machine is treating my apnea? If not what can I do? I've had three sleep studies which claim I can be treated at pressures of 8-12. But setting it there lands me at 20-30 AHI daily. Occasionally I can get a 7-10 rating, but very rarely. I also have a standard Resmed S9 Cpap machine, that when I use this in my travel trailer and am away, it is the same.

How do you know if your apneas recorded on the graph is treated or not when the pressure rises to meet it? I do have clear airway (CA) apneas about 20% of the time too. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. - fiur
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI TREATED OR NOT?
G'day Fiur, welcome to Apnea Board.

The apneas recorded by your machine and reported in ResScan or SleepyHead are not treated. If the machine is treating your apnea properly then your AHI will be low, typically below 5. If you're getting numbers up to 30 then something is very wrong. There could be a lot of reasons for this - the best thing is to see a screen shot from SleepyHead so we can identify any particular problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fiur,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it adjusted to meet your needs, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel your pain. I've had two sleep studies that show AHI <1 at a pressure of 10, but my Resmed S10 Autoset consistently shows AHI at 7-11 (with just one 4.9). The folks at the sleep lab tell me it isn't the same thing but I don't understand how. Good luck finding a solution!!

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2016, 08:31 AM)fiur Wrote: Hi folks,

I've been using a RESMED S9 auto for two years. My AHI ratings are consistently about 18-35. Nothing I do, no settings I set can lower this. Does this mean the machine is treating my apnea? If not what can I do? I've had three sleep studies which claim I can be treated at pressures of 8-12. But setting it there lands me at 20-30 AHI daily. Occasionally I can get a 7-10 rating, but very rarely. I also have a standard Resmed S9 Cpap machine, that when I use this in my travel trailer and am away, it is the same.

How do you know if your apneas recorded on the graph is treated or not when the pressure rises to meet it? I do have clear airway (CA) apneas about 20% of the time too. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. - fiur

Hi fiur. Welcome to the Forum. Post those screen shots from Sleepyhead. We can probably help you with this.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Could be the CAs.
Happened to my wife temporarily . Running consistantly at 1 or below. One morning boom she had ahi of 20.

Turned out to be a new med triggering CAs.
Med gone back to normal.
Point being setting pressures wont fix CAs.
Use sleepyhead abd you can see if it is CAs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello flur
Welcome

Good to see another Coloradan in the forum,Big Grin there are a few of us

My first impression from your starting pressure is it's too low.
You could start bump up the starting pressure in small increments.

The high pressure setting could as be contributing since pressure that is too high can cause CA's, which is exacerbated in people living in Hugh altitude.

Do you live in the valley under 5000 ft or in the mountains?Thinking-about

Without knowing how much of a risk taker you are, or what you insurance/financial situation is, I wouldl also like to recommend you consider a trip over the divide to Denver for a visit with the folks at National Jewish Respiratory Hospital. They are one of the best and oldest respiratory sleep medicine treatment centers in the world.

They have many awards, accolades and bragging rites Rolleyes

https://www.nationaljewish.org/programs/...eep-center

Their number is 303.270.2708

The Sleep Center at National Jewish Health is the oldest and most comprehensive sleep medicine program in the Denver region. We have the most up-to-date information on sleep disorders and the most current technology available to treat and diagnose all respiratory and non-respiratory sleep disorders
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for reply. I Just updated my new machine I received, which is a RESMEd AirCurve 10 VAuto with humidifier. How do I place a screenshot on my post? Any help is appreciated.

Just figured out how to upload screen shot below. Any further help is appreciated. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
My first guess is that you are getting onto your back during those severe Obstructive Apnea periods. To rule out sleeping on your back as the cause you have to make sure that you stay on your side for the night. There are lots of tricks like using pillows or sewing tennis balls into the back of your t-shirt. Many Obstructive Apnea sufferers cannot sleep on their back.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
For what it's worth, your minimum pressure of 4.0 is a waste of time. Your machine quickly reaches 15 cm and can't do a thing against your apnea. You need a combination of higher pressure, and getting off your back, or you will have severe apnea even when treated. A soft cervical collar may also be a help.

On the positive side, your leak rae and tidal volumes are very good, so this is a simple case of obstructive apnea. If your insurance is good, and you have a responsive doctor, I would suggest a consultation. Over 15 cm, you might qualify for bilevel therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One machine says I'm treated, another suggests I'm not shawsg 5 184 03-10-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can Palatal Prolapse be treated with CPAP Motomom 40 9,976 08-21-2023, 08:30 PM
Last Post: aquamike
  Did your liver and kidney function improve after being treated on CPAP? theredheadsaid 5 755 09-27-2022, 01:24 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  [Diagnosis] New Guy Needs a review - Treated but untreated. Madapples 21 2,383 08-19-2021, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Madapples
  ASV - How to know if UARS is treated? IUsedToSnore 2 1,281 05-28-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How are same-day split sessions treated for compliance fredkahan 3 1,011 09-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Last Post: fredkahan
  Technically Treated - To my core Tired Geologeek 63 5,796 03-29-2020, 04:16 PM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.