Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Values?
RE: AHI Values?
(04-26-2018, 06:48 AM)SarajkoAustria Wrote: Should I continue with usage of the maschine, or not?

The only way to determine for sure if you still need the machine is to have the sleep study done again. The AirSense 10 does give you an AHI reading, but at the same time it is treating you with a positive pressure, which of course improves AHI. About the only way you could get some indication of where you are at is to set the AirSense to CPAP mode and set the pressure to 4 cm. That is the minimum that the machine allows. Then see what you get for an AHI. If it is high, then you almost certainly still need the machine. If it is very low using just 4 cm pressure then it might be worth having the sleep study repeated to get an official diagnosis.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2018, 07:48 AM)SarajkoAustria Wrote: Is it possible to heal it for good?

With 90% probability, no.  It's not a disease, nor a wound.  One doesn't 'heal' this condition.  One manages it.

For example, what assurance or hard evidence do you have that your weight was the primary cause of your obstructive apnea?

I am healthier now four months into my own therapy with mild weight loss and better sleep.  I have better cardio fitness than four months ago.  Four days ago I removed my mask upon waking, but I rolled on my side and fell asleep again.  My wife said I sounded like a rock crusher.  I began snoring right away.  For the past four months of treatment my sleep has been completely silent, according to my wife.  With my mask off, and a 30 minute snooze, I returned to my own bad sleep behavior. 

About the only 'cure' there might be, besides losing a great deal of weight, might be surgery to correct defects in the airway from nostrils to bronchia.  Successful surgery.  So, yes, it's possible to overcome apnea, but it is not very likely, and not likely with mere weight loss of 12 kg.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know two people who had the surgery. It was very painful, the healing period was long, and their apnea returned after several years.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
For what it is worth I lost 52 pounds without improvement in my apnea,
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interpreting Oscar values SleepingTight 0 140 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: SleepingTight
  How do i set these values on Resmed Lumis 150 VPAP ST fakeinternetmoney 7 1,229 08-28-2022, 08:53 AM
Last Post: fakeinternetmoney
  A question about calculation using OSCAR-reported "Med." values as variables 2SleepBetta 8 1,300 04-11-2022, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Recorded hours -- 2 values? (ResMed Airsense 10) midwestguy 22 2,024 01-31-2022, 06:23 PM
Last Post: midwestguy
  Leak values? KSMatthew 2 815 01-16-2022, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  HRV heart rate values, apnea, and Oscar sesheridan 1 751 12-26-2020, 03:40 PM
Last Post: sesheridan
Sad [CPAP] Res Med S9 help! Error: Settings reset to default values, please contact service pr dexter020281 21 33,246 08-30-2020, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.