Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Values?
AHI Values?
Hello to everyone!

I have been using " Sleepy Head " software for analysing my Apnea Problem (Sleep behaviour).

Average Value for the last 3 Months is AHI = 1.11, I had 4 Days with AHI = 0.00

The highest Value was AHI= 4.3

In January 2018 I was in sleep laboratory and the results from there were AHI = 86

In the meantime I lost 13 kg = 28,66 Pfund  Smile

I am confused now, is it possible to have such improvement in this period of time?

Average Value for the last 3 Months is AHI = 1.11 ( Should I understand this Value as very good) ?

Regards from Austria Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Values?
Hi SarajkoAustria,

Yes, it appears that your Sleep Apnea is being successfully treated at an AHI of 1.1, and congratulations on the weight loss. like
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations SarajkoAustria

Welcome to the forum.
It is great to hear how successful your treatment has been. Keep us informed
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome and congrats!

In answer to your questions:
- Yes, an AHI of 1.1 certainly can be considered well treated. But keep in mind that it also is just as important to note how you feel in the morning; if you still aren't feeling rested, its is worth seeing if something else is disturbing your sleep.

- And yes, Improvement can easily happen that fast. Before treatment, my apnea was really putting stress on my heart, and i was waking up a few times to use the bathroom at night. By the second night of treatment (where i still had AHI of 8, and was still very much working on mask fitting), that had stopped. Certain problems can take a long time to heal, but better sleep can literally happen overnight.

Keep it up, and enjoy the rest!
Post Reply Post Reply
Should I continue with usage of the maschine, or not?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. Sleep Apnea normally doesn't go away. If you were to stop using the machine the Apnea would return.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The success you have had in reducing AHI are mainly attributable to the positive air pressure therapy. I'm pretty sure you would find yourself back in severe obstructive apnea, in spite of your weight loss, if you ceased use. There have been many users that have experienced similar success with CPAP and can consistently experience therapeutic results less than one AHI, but once the positive pressure is removed, the OA quickly returns to similar levels. One way to find out is to schedule a sleep test and withdraw from therapy a couple nights ahead of the test.

My own experience is that if I don't have the CPAP/BPAP it is very difficult and uncomfortable to sleep. With a diagnostic AHI over 80, I'm sure it wouldn't take long for you to notice if the same is true for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it possible to heal it for good?
Post Reply Post Reply
With Severe Sleep Apnea I'd say probably not.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2018, 07:48 AM)SarajkoAustria Wrote: Is it possible to heal it for good?

There have been a few folk that are able to discontinue the use of Cpap with they lose a lot of weight, but they are in the minority.  

You were diagnosed with severe sleep apnea with an “untreated” AHI of 86.  You may be confusing the fact that your now “treated” AHI of 1.1 is the same as being cured.  There is no cure that we know of and you would find that if you stopped Cpap therapy, you would feel as bad as you did prior to treatment.  Your AHI would normally go back to pretreatment numbers of AHI of 86.  You would have to have another sleep test to find out for sure.

You are very fortunate to have adapted quickly and have achieved low numbers.  For your own health and well being, you will more than likely need to continue Cpap therapy.  Of course, you should discuss this with your doctor.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interpreting Oscar values SleepingTight 0 140 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: SleepingTight
  How do i set these values on Resmed Lumis 150 VPAP ST fakeinternetmoney 7 1,229 08-28-2022, 08:53 AM
Last Post: fakeinternetmoney
  A question about calculation using OSCAR-reported "Med." values as variables 2SleepBetta 8 1,300 04-11-2022, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Recorded hours -- 2 values? (ResMed Airsense 10) midwestguy 22 2,022 01-31-2022, 06:23 PM
Last Post: midwestguy
  Leak values? KSMatthew 2 815 01-16-2022, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  HRV heart rate values, apnea, and Oscar sesheridan 1 751 12-26-2020, 03:40 PM
Last Post: sesheridan
Sad [CPAP] Res Med S9 help! Error: Settings reset to default values, please contact service pr dexter020281 21 33,246 08-30-2020, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.