Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI all over the map... Any thoughts?
AHI all over the map... Any thoughts?
Hey guys -

So, just completed day four, so totally expecting anomalies as I get used to my therapy.... and I also know I'm not comfortable at all in my mask. (Hopefully I'll have the F&P Simplus Day after tomorrow... You'll see some leakage below, too). ALSO... I'm traveling right now, so I'm sure being in an unfamiliar place has something to do with it.

But --- was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice regarding my AHI patterns...?

Night 1: 4.53 (6-16cm)
Night 2: 8.40 (6-16cm)
Night 3: 6.19 (I adjusted sightly to 8.5c-16cm)
Night 3: 12.42 (I adjusted slightly to 9-15cm)

I made the pressure increases because it seemed as if there was a clear correlation between my pressure dropping, then immediate OA's and Hypopnea's... So I thought if I kept the pressure from going too low I'd be making an improvement. Not so. Any suggestions? Sleepyhead photos are below.

[Image: screenshot_20160802_123235.png]

[Image: screenshot_20160802_123240.png]

[Image: screenshot_20160802_123244.png]

[Image: screenshot_20160802_123247.png]

Also - I've developed this dry cough and irritation down near my bronchial tubes... Didn't have that before, and I don't feel dried out in my nose. Some places say it's just the adjustment that my lungs would be making to the pressure... But anyone else have any similar symptoms?

(Edit: Typo's).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI all over the map... Any thoughts?
Stay at the initial pressure settings and give it some time. You have to become accustomed to the positive pressure before you can re-evaluate.
It's possible that you have some pressure induced central apnea that may abate with time. But, 4 days is too soon to be concerned.

It may be that it will turn out that you are not on the correct type of machine for your apnea.
If the centrals remain a significant contributor to your apnea, you may need to be put on a machine known as an ASV.

You appear to breathe rather shallow. Perhaps you are a small person; or you have other conditions.
Again, in the end, you may need the assist of an ASV.

For now, just stay the course. If you're working with a doctor, have him review in the near future.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I would have made the same increase in the lower pressure. The PR algorithm definitely does exactly what you've noted. It will go straight back to the minimum pressure, and then more OAs happen.

But...you definitely had increased CAs last night, plus PB showing up. I have no idea how to evaluate PB or to make recommendations about it.

Probably you can either leave your settings where they were last night or go back to your initial settings. There seems to be some "body getting used to breathing with CPAP" going on. In other words, the stuff that's happening for you right now, event-wise, may well be transient. It may be too early for you to try to pinpoint your optimal pressure settings. I don't know how to explain that in a way that makes any sense.

The cough sounds worrisome. My first impulse is to say "try more humidity". Do you have asthma, though? We had a new person to this forum just last month who had a history of mild asthma, but who developed problems with asthma when she began using CPAP, and ended up having to stop it for now. See forum member Kris the Crone's threads if you want to read about it.

(08-02-2016, 01:35 PM)JPDTrek Wrote: I made the pressure increases because it seemed as if there was a clear correlation between my pressure dropping, then immediate OA's and Hypopnea's... So I thought if I kept the pressure from going too low I'd be making an improvement. Not so. Any suggestions?

Also - I've developed this dry cough and irritation down near my bronchial tubes... Didn't have that before, and I don't feel dried out in my nose. Some places say it's just the adjustment that my lungs would be making to the pressure... But anyone else have any similar symptoms?

Post Reply Post Reply
with an AHI of 107, stopping pap is not a very good option....

Cough = get humidity to goldilocks. too much or too little causes issues.

wrt the changing AHI every night, you need to give it a couple of weeks. you have a lot of adjusting to do.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
As Paul Simon wrote "Slow down, you move too fast". Give yourself at least a week or so at each new setting. Your body and mind vary from night to night and you need a decent sized sample to even out the "noise" caused by these variations.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I started about 2 months ago, was diagnosed at 109.6 AHI.

I'm still working back and forth with my doctor and sleep techs to get the settings dialed in. That said, your numbers are lower than mine were for the first week. Give it time. Also, isolate how you sleep if at all possible. I know sleeping on my back causes my AHI to skyrocket.
Post Reply Post Reply
Give it and yourself some time to adjust to your new life with a hose at night.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,740 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,502 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  some thoughts after a few weeks? ifsmithy 39 1,561 12-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 830 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 417 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  New mask, thoughts on my sleep data? SleepyMcDonald 1 400 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Anyone seen it/tried it? Thoughts. David Clark 6 732 06-16-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.