Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI all over the place, new to AB
AHI all over the place, new to AB
Hi, 4.5 months in and my AHI fluctuates.  Wish I had found Apnea Board earlier, found it about 3 weeks ago.
My sleep doctor is not much help, said see you in a year.  Home study with AHI at 14.5. Start pressure was 4-20, then doctor updated to 4-15.  Thanks to AB, I got into clinician mode and was able to see my AHI and other info.  Last week I tried using a soft cervical collar and got some good results for the week under 5.  The AHI over 8 was from previous night, first section sleeping on right side, next sleeping on my back and the 3rd section sleeping on my right side.  Last night AHI was 7.77 (not lucky)...I had increased the min from 5 to 6.  I think I need to keep increasing my min pressure??  Any suggestions welcomed.
I tried to update some images to Imgur but not sure if I did it right.  Thank you Apnea Board!

h ttps://imgur.com/a/d2rT0
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI all over the place, new to AB
yes, I agree with increasing the min, I'd go to 8 and see how it goes, you may need 9. Did you have Central apnea in your sleep study? If they are pressure induced, they will most like subside within 12 weeks, you could try reducing the flex if it's not too uncomfortable. the big differences in nights, may be some positional apnea, have you tried a soft foam cervical collar to keep your airway straight?
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I also think a increase to 8cm in the pressure will help get rid of the events along with some of the flow limitations. You only had one CA event which is nothing to worry about. Everyone gets one now and than. I'd leave the flex alone if it makes you more comfortable.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, take the minimum up in pressure, the closer the minimum is to what you need to easier it is to use and less sleep disturbance when you do have an event.  To let you understand I have the low set at 10 and the maximum it has got to is 12 and I never notice any pressure change, but my body sure does.  Start at 8 as suggested, then if the maximum pressure the machine gets to is a lot higher, take it 1 closer until you are comfortable.  There is a pressure relief (EPR) for when you breathe out if you find it a bit difficult, the lower the number you can tolerate the better, if you need to use it, try it at 1 then go up the numbers for more relief.  Most people believe it is better not used, but if you have to for comfort, use it.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Oilhead, what a great start on the forum...nice chart!  You are currently at 5-15 pressure with Flex at 1.  You're getting good results in this particular chart, with some notable flow limitations and hypopnea, but no OA.  I agree with the suggestions to increase minimum pressure to 8.0, and hopefully resolve the residual hypopnea and flow limitation.   I would rather have seen you using a Resmed machine which offers more pressure difference between inhale/exhale (IPAP/EPAP) pressure, but this seems to be doing a decent job. 

You have all the tools you need to optimize your therapy, and using Sleepyhead and the forum resources is a strong start.

[Image: N0YByKX.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks ajack, Walla Walla, Sleep2Snore and Sleeprider.

Everyone agrees that I should set my min pressure at 8 so that is what I will set for tonight.
I was slowly increasing the min because the last week or so I have experienced aerophagia, belching like balloon pops.
Will visit flex next so as not to change too many variables.  Think I am at 2 right now.

I am using a soft cervical collar for 10 days,  first days saw the lowest AHI but went back up again.  I had tried a 3 inch one
but it was a little uncomfortable so I switched to a 2.5 inch.  Maybe go back to 3 inch since I had better numbers then.
I tried an ergonomic memory foam pillow but it did not work well for side sleeping, AHI over 20 that night.

It was my first time using Imgur and I think I stacked 6 charts together, will separate for next posting.
If you scroll down you can see all 6 graphs.

I will try to get the Resmed next time around.  Sounds like the forum users prefer that one.  I was not given a choice.

Will let everyone know how I make out in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is not what I was hoping for.  AHI at 12.27 with a lot of OA and CA.  I will remove the cervical collar tonight to determine if I am fighting it.  I checked my original home study and the CA was at .4  I'm thinking my problem is mostly positional and not sure what to do next.  I have included charts from last night as well as some random closeups, not sure how to interpret.

h ttps://imgur.com/a/GJzP6
h ttps://imgur.com/a/AplTq
h ttps://imgur.com/a/P9z8y
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Oihead,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and getting it fine-tuned to meet your needs. Hang in there fore help with interpreting your graphs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Well now you know what a crappy night looks like.  This is an increase of minimum pressure, and didn't work out so good compared to 5-15.   Let's go back to the original 5-15 settings, and give this some time to develop a trend.  I don't actually think the pressure settings made this change in results.  Your previous median pressure was 9.3, and this is an increase of 1.0 cm.  This looks like a positional issue, and perhaps the cervical collar increased obstructive issues rather than helped.  Changing more than one variable at a time often creates this confusion as to what helped or hurt.

[Image: yeJmYGc.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you trish6hundred for the words of encouragement to myself and other "Newbies" out there.  I know that initially I would lay awake for hours trying to sleep with the CPAP, prior to using CPAP I would fall asleep within minutes.  I wanted to just rip it off my face at times but I stuck with it, at least for 4 hours to meet my compliance.  Eventually it did get easier.  Funny, I remember telling my husband that if I died in my sleep to take the contraption off my head before reporting my death.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] New to cpap my apnea events are all over the place can someone help me? LiquidOcelot 13 1,279 06-27-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  OT: best place to buy a home based EKG 12 lead machine for home use snorin2 0 353 03-12-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  Cheapest place to buy mask cushions (in U.S.)? newmar 4 721 12-09-2022, 08:52 PM
Last Post: newmar
  ? read some place the Airsence 11 has its data encrypted ger365 2 928 08-10-2021, 10:11 AM
Last Post: ger365
  AHI all over the place and major leakage problem Dharmachef 7 992 07-14-2021, 08:08 PM
Last Post: jlfinkels
  A Place Like No Other mesenteria 3 674 05-17-2021, 04:54 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.