Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI and OA's sudden increase. Any ideas/suggestions?
AHI and OA's sudden increase. Any ideas/suggestions?

Just completed my 72nd night of CPAP,  and have changed no settings since starting this
journey.   Still at a pressure of 9 with no ramp, etc.  on my resmed machine.

I had taken the suggestions of exclusive side sleeping, and the soft neck collar.   I was happy that
my AHI's had consistently been sub 5 after doing that for a period of time.

All during this time my number of CA's had almost always been higher than my number of OA's,
sometimes 50-100% more.    I remember one of you kind gents commenting that the pesky CA's
sometimes are present during the first couple of months,  and then not so much later.

Well,  that was the case at about the 2 month mark.  My CA's have almost gone, but about every
other night I am now having this huge number of OA's,  sometimes 60 or so.  And they seem
to be clustered in one or two short periods of time during the night.  I have attached the graph
if of interest (accidental duplicate.  Sorry).  Any comments or setting modification suggestions
are appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI and OA's sudden increase. Any ideas/suggestions?
Just observing your charts looks like you could be chin tucking which is indicated by grouping of clusters of OA & H apnea's. I will leave a link to a thread that explains it very clearly. Some folks use a Soft Cervical Collar to remedy that issue.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes it does look like it is positional apnea. Use my link in my signature for collar.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep,   I'm using a collar as indicated in my post.   These OA's have just started out
of the blue.    I'm thinking I need to make some adjustments to the settings,  and
am looking for some suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it is positional it cannot be controlled by pressure. I would look to adjust the collar. Is it high enough, tight enough so your chin cannot go under?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
could be a collar adjustment problem. I find they soften & curl after a while. I seem to be replacing them annually & that's probably a couple months longer than best practice.
Post Reply Post Reply
You mention using s soft collar. Is it the type described in the links you've been given? If yes, you may have it too loose. You don't want it super tight but it should be tight enough so your chin cannot tuck behind it. You may also do better with autoset mode so the machine can adjust the pressure to your needs. Since you seem to do well at 9 I suggest a range of 9-16 for starters. Also, I believe you machine has EPR which lowers the exhale pressure. Although this is billed as a comfort feature it will also reduce flow limitations. Try EPR full time at 2 to start. It's possible these changes may increase your centrals so you will want to watch that. Please post more data after making changes. Here is a link to access the clinical settings https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup
You can order a manual by using the link for CPAP Setup Manuals at the top of the page.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2020, 11:04 AM)TexasCPAP Wrote: Yep,   I'm using a collar as indicated in my post.   These OA's have just started out
of the blue.    I'm thinking I need to make some adjustments to the settings,  and
am looking for some suggestions.

Changing pressure settings will not correct the clustered OAS you are seeing. They can only be corrected by eliminating thepositional issue.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to everyone for replies/suggestions.   I think the collar is ok,  but I will try wearing it a bit tighter perhaps.  And perhaps trying the EPR.  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 0 15 48 minutes ago
Last Post: Daveman
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 151 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 169 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,922 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 248 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 330 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,263 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.