Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI and Sp02 correlation ?
AHI and Sp02 correlation ?
I have been monitoring my Sp02 for 9 months now. ; yes, every night. Grin

Monitor is a CMS-50F and I use sleepy head sofware with my Res-med S-9 BIPAP

The Sp02 desaturation events on my Oximeter Software are defined as "a drop inSp02 at least 4% for a ninimum duration of 10 seconds"

I usually feel good if the number of Sp02 events are less than 20 or so. and if my AHI is less than 2.0

A really good day seems to be if Sp02 of less than 10, and my AHI is under 1.0 Cool

What I do not understand; is that a couple of days ago I had 38 Sp02 events, but a AHI of 1.5 Huh I woke feeling mostly ok, but not perfect.

And on another day the values were; 40 Sp02 events and AHI of 1.1

These numbers seem to be sort of a contradiction to me.

Usually low Spo2 events correspond to low AHI's

I realize that our machines are not perfect and I presume other variables enter into this data the machines provide us?

Or Maby I am expecting too much of these great machines that help us?

Or perhaps I should just be very happy with a 9 month average of 1.8 AHI and leave well enough alone..........?

Any thought out there?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI and Sp02 correlation ?
That does seem weird that they correlate most of the time, but not always. That could be normal, but I don't really know as I don't measure my O2 levels.

Personally, I'd be overjoyed if I woke up feeling perfect on any day!

Having a AHI average of 1.8 is awesome, too. Congrats!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Generally speaking, you should see a drop of your O2sats more or less in line with any OSA or CSA events, but also with periodic breathing events it is possible. So long as the O2sats remain above 88% you are doing fine - 90% and above indicate a relatively good sleep saturation (and of course 95 - 97% is about the same as waking rates - if it goes up to 98% or above for a while then you are getting too much oxygen somehow - hyperoxia is as bad as hypoxia in some ways, so keep your eye on sleeping rates pushing above normal waking numbers).

Why these events aren't lining up in your case I cannot say - without looking at the charts it is impossible to see a pattern, but if this does concern you and you are experience real tiredness, I would take the charts to your doc and see what he makes of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Doc said.
Also keep an eye on how long those events last. (more than 30 seconds = uh oh!)
If you aren't seeing any OA, CA or hypopneas causing the SO2 desats (keeping in mind that >89% is good)
check your respiration rate.
If you are hyperventilating you wont get a good gas exchange at the lungs.

Hang in there! Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the best way to record SP02 for OSCAR Ghandi 2 429 09-08-2023, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Ghandi
  Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS] ldinks 154 12,225 08-09-2023, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Dutchie
  Correlation between pressures and AHI Bluesv6 2 463 03-24-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Bluesv6
  [CPAP] Initial Sleep onset CA's associated with lower Sp02 ducksinerr 1 526 07-23-2022, 07:34 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Correlation to Keto- AHI has skyrocketed robtheironguy 56 4,113 03-24-2022, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  ASV Epap vs PS correlation? Moemah123 10 2,529 02-21-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Lower altitidue & improved Sp02 readings MCS2014 4 729 01-17-2022, 10:27 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.