Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI and diet
RE: AHI and diet
I can't think of anything to help then again my guru status got lost with the check in the mail. Best wishes Philly guy from another area of PA
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Too bad about your guru credentials! They can come in handy.

I discovered that the screenshot problem I have with Oscar doesn't seem to affect Sleepyhead, so I'm attaching last night's. There's still a problem with most of the night's data being missing though. That's why the posted AHI in the image is only 8.72, whereas the machine itself, and Dreammapper, registered 10.5.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to chart school BTW. Not sure on your OSCAR or Sleepyhead issue, maybe your PC doesn't like those programs. It's possible your settings need optimized somehow to get you a better AHI.

BTW are you an Eagles guy? I'll still post, even if I'm a Redskin. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2019, 12:59 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'm going to chart school BTW. Not sure on your OSCAR or Sleepyhead issue, maybe your PC doesn't like those programs. It's possible your settings need optimized somehow to get you a better AHI.

BTW are you an Eagles guy? I'll still post, even if I'm a Redskin.  Smile

I'm sports challenged, to be honest. I don't pay much attention to any of it -- except of course when the entire city goes bananas.

Yes, it's very possible that my settings need tweaking, although I'm not sure where to begin, and at the moment the software isn't helping so much. I do find it perplexing that the 5+ readings started so abruptly, with no obvious change in anything, other than the diet issues I've already mentioned. I had a 6.3 last night. I also had the highest number of Timed Breaths I've seen just about ever: 177. Even with the high AHIs for the last couple of weeks, the number of Timed Breaths hasn't changed much from before, except for last night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sincerely hope this thing gets figured out quick.

Bet those sports induced riots are loads of fun. Be safe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry about being late to this thread, but I came to the forum to find out if a new diet would adversely affect my AHI.  I searched and found this thread.  

I've been on CPAP for over 5 years. Immediately out of the gate I was highly successful with the therapy.  After a very short adjustment period, my AHI began to hover in the 1-3 range regularly.  I'd have some slips here and there as we all do.  Last October, I had sinus surgery and had to lay off the therapy for 6 weeks.  When I got back to it, it's like I had to learn and adjust all over again.  It took a while, but I finally got back to normal.  About the same time last year, I had read terrible info about the AirFit P10 mask, which I had begun to question myself.  I immediately ceased using that mask and went with two that have become my go to masks.  Since then, my AHI routinely stays under 1.0.  Many nights are .3 or even as low as 0.  But...then I started this diet.

Two weeks ago tomorrow, my wife and I began a whole food plant based diet.  She needed to do it mainly for heart reasons...and I did it to support her.  I am only slightly overweight...195 lbs, 6 ft tall.  Since day one of the plant based diet, my AHI jumped...to 4.8.  For the first week of the diet, it hovered in the 3's and 4's.  Last week...the second week...it got a little better, but still in the 2-3 range.  The last two nights, it's been in the low 1's, with Saturday night being my best at .9.  My goal is to stay under 1.0.  My wife says I'm sleeping soundly it seems...or at least from what she can tell.  

So...although my AHI is great and most people never get to that low level regularly...I can attest for whatever reason that my plant based diet somehow seems to have affected me, at least for the lasts two weeks.  It's the ONLY recent change in my lifestyle.  If there's any other condition/situation/circumstance that could affect my AHI like this, I haven't been able to identify it...
Post Reply Post Reply
That's pretty interesting. I've come to believe that many significant lifestyle changes, as well as psychological swings, cannot and do affect AHI. Diet is certainly one of them.
Post Reply Post Reply
And stress. I have a huge dose of that right now with my sister being in the hospital right now. She is getting better though, so my stress is coming down and getting her better is helping us both. 

Stay well y’all.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a much simpler explanation for AHI fluctuations while fasting. During the night, your body burns off glycogen reserves and progressively shifts from burning more glucose to burning more Free fatty acids.

For same amount of energy, FFAs need 70% of o2 than glucose. So your minute ventilation will go down. And this will affect AHI numbers especially Hypos.

When I do a longer fast (36hrs+) after dinner, my MV is > 7lpm on first night and < 6Lpm on 2nd night. And somehow hypos rise. But I still feel real good during the next day.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for Help - Excruciating Tooth Pain, a Dentist’s Check, and Diet Change RayBee 10 1,854 05-07-2022, 10:26 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Sport and Diet influence on AHI koala1 8 840 03-14-2022, 06:50 PM
Last Post: koala1
  CSA and Diet? your thoughts/experience please. BFair2all 7 974 08-24-2021, 08:38 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Diet and AHI E.W. 5 783 07-03-2021, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Shadowpup
  Diet [affect on Sleep Apnea] E.W. 6 1,601 07-13-2019, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Bubba45
  AHI and sugar diet relation? horsepower 6 1,456 10-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Diet and AHI E.W. 1 1,008 09-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.