Poll: Should we have an index, which includes the length of events, as described in my post?
Good idea
Bad idea
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
AHI and length of events
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

RE: AHI and length of events
(08-17-2014 07:38 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:  
(08-17-2014 07:06 PM)Ghandi Wrote:  Seriously ..that should be criminal. It the first place they treat apnea because desaturation is harmfull. I dont understand why a doctor would't be bothered with 70 seconds events.

I feel the same way. That's why I'm considering replacing him and looking for someone more concerned about the patient and who gives more credibility to what the patient says. This jerk as much as told me that any recording I do will not be useful since it's not recognized as being from a certified source. It's not like I was applying for a grant, I just wanted him to know how my condition was affecting me and he countered by saying I only had 1.9 events in an hour during my sleep test and couldn't qualify for any treatment that Medicare would pay for. I told him "to hell with Medicare, I want something done now". It had been 5 months since my first visit with him and I was very desperate from lack of sleep and getting so depressed that life didn't seem worthwhile anymore.

I suppose I should be grateful that he finally agreed to write me a prescription so I could buy a CPAP machine out of pocket, which I have done. The S9 rendered a 16.9 AHI on my first session with it but I doubt that will impress the good doctor since the machine isn't one of his certified sources. I didn't sleep hardly at all in the certified sleep lab study so I don't see how they arrived at the 1.9 per hour figure when I slept less than 15 minutes tops. My next appointment is for Sept. 2nd so I've got some time to ponder his fate as my medical adviser. I have managed to titrate my events down to 5.7 and am sleeping much better. I now have hopes of returning to my old jolly self and worrying about something other than how I may sleep on any particular night.

Maybe next time I do a sleep test I should just hold my breath and grunt 10 times per hour and game the system. Bigwink

Sorry if my comment might offend you, but it sounds like you don't have a medical advisor but instead you have a "medical dictator".
05-01-2015 04:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Events way too high! sfrasher 13 100 Today 02:25 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Resmed MYAIR Events per hr results ressler76 6 1,247 10-01-2016 11:07 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Money [CPAP] Hose length may have created major problem Tipperaryeddie 13 901 09-27-2016 03:12 PM
Last Post: Shastzi
  CA events I_will_never_sleep_again 3 223 09-23-2016 06:56 AM
Last Post: I_will_never_sleep_again
  What is best way to decrease events? Lanco 4 423 08-31-2016 11:35 PM
Last Post: Lanco
  Hose length change pupcamper 14 1,296 07-14-2016 02:57 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Dreamstation - max hose length stephennic 2 297 07-14-2016 02:48 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr