Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI and sugar diet relation?
AHI and sugar diet relation?
Ok, here is a weird one for everyone..

I have obstructive sleep apnea... I have recently got an airsense 10 autoset, and had extremely good luck with it (most nights below 1, and 8+ hours per night usage)...

I am also a type 2 diabetic, however I have not been really eating properly or exercising... Sugar is my kryptonite.. So after a year or so of bad eating habits, I decided I was going to go on a "diet", and cut sugar out of my day.... Also reducing portions, etc etc etc

On the very first day I started the diet, my AHI was 6.... Second day, it was 15.... Basically nothing lower than 3 every night.... On the weekend, Saturday, is my "Cheat" day, and I kind of let the diet slip and indulge in something sweet.... AHI for that day, 0.5... It is like clockwork... when I eat sugar or eat badly, my AHI is low... when I follow my diet, my AHI is high..

Here is the kicker.... Most of the events are Clear Airway events... I never had a problem with CA before, just since I started this diet thing.

I really dont know what the reasoning is behind this all... Only thing I can think of is that sugar is like a drug, and quitting it cold turkey is messing my body up, and hopefully will get better with time... but its been 2 weeks plus so far, and still happens like clockwork.

Anyone care to take a stab at that?? I am at a loss.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI and sugar diet relation?
I was looking at some of the charts you posted on another thread. You seem to have a recent history of CA events. I don't think it has anything to do with your diet. It might be worth your while to get a new sleep study done.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Looking back, I guess you are right... There are some scattered here and there... But there are a lot of nights where none happen at all...

I guess I am just shocked to go from under 1 every night, to this:

Post Reply Post Reply
While I'm a little concerned that you have clear airway events, I am more concerned that you have so many events. I'm thinking that you can help yourself on this by raising your lower pressure closer to where it hangs most of the night. Perhaps that's all you need during this temporary period. I'd go to a minimum of 7 for a few days and then see what's what.
Post Reply Post Reply
Horsepower, I don't know how fond you are of EPR, but I encourage you to compare your results with EPR at 1 or off and see if the event rate does not drop.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am at 3 of EPR, and as you mentioned in another post of mine, it really helps me adjust to the machine... Think I should try lowering it?

I will also try raising the minimum pressure as well..

Its just weird that if I eat sugar during the day, everything settles down to below 1 for the night..

Thanks for the advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people react to EPR with more CA events. I think you can probably be comfortable with less EPR. Don't necessarily increase pressure because as you turn down EPR, your exhale pressure will be higher anyway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for Help - Excruciating Tooth Pain, a Dentist’s Check, and Diet Change RayBee 10 1,826 05-07-2022, 10:26 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Sport and Diet influence on AHI koala1 8 825 03-14-2022, 06:50 PM
Last Post: koala1
  CSA and Diet? your thoughts/experience please. BFair2all 7 957 08-24-2021, 08:38 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Diet and AHI E.W. 5 764 07-03-2021, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Shadowpup
  Sugar and AHI? horsepower 8 1,150 11-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Last Post: E.W.
  AHI and diet tmoody 18 2,675 09-19-2019, 02:12 AM
Last Post: AshSF
  Diet [affect on Sleep Apnea] E.W. 6 1,586 07-13-2019, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Bubba45

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.