Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI averages in the 40s. Need help adjusting settings.
Surprised 
AHI averages in the 40s. Need help adjusting settings.
Respironics Dreamstation Auto BiPap...

I have it on Bi Level Ipap 14.0 Epap 5.0.

1) Wondering if I should change it to AutoB

and if so, not sure of the appropriate settings?

I've attached a pdf of the last 30-day averages. 

Thanks for any help! Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI averages in the 40s. Need help adjusting settings.
The dream mapper does not give any indication on the type of apnea you are suffering other than there is a lot of them. Download sleepyhead from the link in my signature and then post a daily chart so we can see what’s going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll do as others here who can safely and effectively help you will ask you to do...download the Beta Version of Sleepyhead.Org freeware from sourceforge.  If your unit has an SD card, insert the card in a reader, either on the face of your PC or purchase a reader with a USB end, and get sleepyhead to run the charts.  What you have provided is not very useful compared to sleepyhead.  When you have the results, post them here (several members have the details under their signatures in their various posts).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I installed Sleepyhead and was able to generate some PDF files. I hope this provides better information.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Rather than the stats, some random samples of a complete nights sleep would be far more useful. You can use a program such as imageshack, photobucket or similar to capture and upload these. Instructions are at the top of the page, click on Sleepyhead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the stats which only provide basic information you have complex apnea and your stats are showing a mix of obstructive apnea and clear airway apnea. You are not being adequately treated by your machine, an EPAP of 5 is insufficient to treat your OSA and the high pressure support is causing CA’s

You did much better on the Resmed Autoset with an AHI of 8 just before you moved to the BiPap

The bilevel machine is not treating your apnea it looks like an ASV machine may be in your future please go back to your DR as the BiLevel seems to be making everything worse and not better.

Jason
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the above, you are showing as classic Complex (mixed between Obstructive and Central) Apnea with the BiPAP.  I'm guessing that is why you are using a BiPAP.  

Please contact your Dr and say your apnea has increased to SEVERE apnea since using the BiPAP.  Indeed an ASV machine may be in your future.  (Many here have had GREAT success with the ResMed ASV machine.   

My recommendation with your current machine would be to mimic your APAP with the BiPAP.  Then attach your screenshot of your SleepyHead daily charts as suggested.
That would mean the following settings

Auto Mode
EPAP range 4 - 10  (Note: the autoset numbers are IPAP and you subtract EPR from that)
PS (Pressure support) 3 (to mimic the EPR setting that you were using).

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with contacting the Doctor. I'd hold off on making changes until you can talk to the Doctor and find out his plan. If he is just gathering the numbers needed to justify an ASV you might be better off leaving the settings alone to quicken the process.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
OK WW,  good point.
Hold on the changes and contact your doctor and say your apnea has increased to SEVERE apnea since using the BiPAP.
Ask what the plans are to remedy it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 293 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  Need help adjusting settings cokepi 1 130 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with reading OSCAR and adjusting settings deirdrepen 2 237 01-24-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Need help adjusting interpreting Oscar Data - 10 Aircurve Vauto mrwell 4 437 12-02-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: mrwell
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 828 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Tips for adjusting chin strap? TiredTom111 8 1,233 09-10-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Bluesv6
  Auto-adjusting CPAP as replacement in Philips Recall Speusippus 1 587 08-14-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.