Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI averages in the 40s. Need help adjusting settings.
RE: AHI averages in the 40s. Need help adjusting settings.
@ApneaSufferer

I think you've received excellent advice. I have complex apnea and--as it seems to be the case with you--my AHIs increased during my short (5 night) experiment with Bi-level. And I felt terrible. Your scores are much higher than mine were.

For me, ASV (ResMed) made a huge improvement.

I'd alert your physician right away about what's happening. ASV approvals can take hoop-jumping, due to the cost, but even from the posted summary, it looks like the evidence points strongly that way.

Get your doctor involved.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank everyone for their comments... the problem I had with the Cpap was trying to breath out - I almost always woke up with it off as I could not sleep with it. Since using the Bpap, I've been able to sleep through the night, because I can breath out ok. 

But I understand what you mean, that my AHI numbers are worse now... my doctor doesn't seem very interested, so I follow everyone's advice and try to get him more involved with an alternative plan. Thank you so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello everyone... again thanks for all the input. I researched what an ASV unit is and now I better understand. My problem started when I used to wake up with a dream that I was dying. My wife often reports to me that I quit breathing. I sense that it has something to do with my brain not automatically telling me to breath. In addition to this, I have the problems snoring and also problems breathing through my mouth when my lips are closed. My nose is often stuffed up. 

Anyway, the Complex Apnea sound about right.

I saw these two ASV models... I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which one works better or are they about the same?

Thanks again for the help. I've been struggling with this going on about 15 years now... I definitely think a lack of oxygen to my brain is killing off brain cells. My dad died from Alzheimer's at 83. I'm now 60 and feel that this somehow may be connected to dementia. Anyway, I'll keep reading to learn more. Thanks again for your help!

[attachment=5380]
Post Reply Post Reply
I know nothing about those those machines the dreamstation is the newer one I use a Resmed S9 Vpap ADapt check out Supplier #2 for lightly used and new ASV machines, there is the latest Resmed Machines for arround $2000 which is a really good price and works well with the current version of Sleepyhead
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamstation is IMHO the better machine, but even better, one that has shown tremendous success here is the 
ResMed AirCurve™ 10 ASV BiLevel Machine w/HumidAir™ Humidifier (E0471) (best choice) (Fixed CPAP, ASV, ASV Auto)

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I would go (have gone) with the ResMed ASV that Fred (Bonjour) mentions in the previous post.

Supplier #2 tends to have pretty good deals on gently-used (and new) ASVs if you need to self-purchase.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
@ApneaSufferer, are you taking any medications that may be causing centals?

Opioids are notorious for this, but there are others IMS.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO if you are going to get an ASV, I would attempt the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV like I have. I'm sure the PR DreamStation is excellent as well. However, I know what my ASV does. Your getting worse via BPAP is exactly the same as my story.

A pointer on discussion with the doctor: arm yourself with the data from the BPAP and the "how you feel" verbal complaint is equally important.

Best to success.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks

(04-17-2018, 09:10 AM)Spy Car Wrote: @ApneaSufferer, are you taking any medications that may be causing centals?

Opioids are notorious for this, but there are others IMS.

Bill

None... but thank you for asking - didn't know that!

(04-17-2018, 07:53 AM)bonjour Wrote: The Dreamstation is IMHO the better machine, but even better, one that has shown tremendous success here is the 
ResMed AirCurve™ 10 ASV BiLevel Machine w/HumidAir™ Humidifier (E0471) (best choice) (Fixed CPAP, ASV, ASV Auto)

Fred

Very helpful... thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2018, 09:07 AM)Spy Car Wrote: I would go (have gone) with the ResMed ASV that Fred (Bonjour) mentions in the previous post.

Supplier #2 tends to have pretty good deals on gently-used (and new) ASVs if you need to self-purchase.

Bill

Again... extremely helpful as I may opt to make a self-purchase!

(04-17-2018, 04:28 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: I know nothing about those those machines  the dreamstation is the newer one I use a Resmed S9 Vpap ADapt check out Supplier #2 for lightly used and new ASV machines, there is the latest Resmed Machines for arround $2000 which is a really good price and works well with the current version of Sleepyhead
Thank you and this is very helpful information for me! I just may have to buy a used one!

(04-17-2018, 09:00 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: IMO if you are going to get an ASV, I would attempt the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV like I have. I'm sure the PR DreamStation is excellent as well. However, I know what my ASV does. Your getting worse via BPAP is exactly the same as my story.

A pointer on discussion with the doctor: arm yourself with the data from the BPAP and the "how you feel" verbal complaint is equally important.

Best to success.

Thank you for the advise - I made an appointment to see my doctor in the morning! I will do just that!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 5 151 04-19-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: rygonzo93
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 1,024 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 507 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  Need help adjusting settings cokepi 1 174 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with reading OSCAR and adjusting settings deirdrepen 2 267 01-24-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Need help adjusting interpreting Oscar Data - 10 Aircurve Vauto mrwell 4 467 12-02-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: mrwell
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 918 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.