Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Is sleep apnea hereditary?
Is sleep apnea hereditary?

While there are many factors that can put someone at risk for sleep apnea, there is a strong possibility that sleep apnea can be hereditary. If you have a serious condition like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease or an endocrine or metabolic disorder, there is a significant chance that you may also be suffering from sleep apnea. Even lifestyle factors like smoking and using alcohol or sedatives or opioids can increase the risk of sleep apnea.

However, a family history of this serious condition is also something you want to discuss with your doctor, especially if you are experiencing symptoms of sleep apnea like loud snoring, lack of energy, daytime sleepiness (even after a full night’s sleep), morning headaches or depression. Genetically inherited physical traits like your face and skull shape, characteristics of your upper airway muscles, and body fat content and distribution could all contribute to whether or not you are more prone to suffer from sleep apnea.

Most people tend to associate a high body mass index (BMI)—your height to weight ratio—with sleep apnea. While obesity is a condition associated with sleep apnea, people who are fit can also suffer from it. In fact, many people can suffer from sleep apnea—men and women, older people and even children. Children can exhibit some of the same symptoms as adults, like habitual snoring, noisy breathing, chronic mouth breathing, restless sleep and lethargy or sleepiness.

Having a family member with sleep apnea could increase your chance of developing or having the disorder. It is also important to understand and be aware of the symptoms.

fair use from:
https://www.wakeuptosleep.com/is-sleep-a...ereditary/

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is sleep apnea hereditary?
[quote='ApneaNews' pid='32197' dateline='1363791364']

I definately think SA is hereditary, My sister has it, I have it, my father most likely had it; his brother most likely had it.

My mom, said for 20 years my Dad would stop breathing, and she would lay there waiting for him to start breathing again. Being the tough German he was, she could / did not dare wake him up Dont-know.

He hated doctors, and developed Dementia in his later years.

I have some Dementia......... as well; Sad

So that begs an important question........... does Sleep Apnea contribute to Dementia? Perhaps it is a bigger factor than we currently believe. Clearly oxygen deprivation is not good for the Brain and perhaps causes Atrophy as well ?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 277 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 193 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,827 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,259 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 186 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.