Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI climbing and need help
RE: AHI climbing and need help
Ok, keep us updated on your progress. I wouldn't make pressure changes right now.

Two things to work on, your leaks and sleeping position to control positional apnea.
I suspect they go hand in hand.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ditto everything Opal Rose said. Get those leaks under control. I sleep with a DreamWear FFM(been discontinued for those with metal in their body because of the magnetic clips on the head gear, but I'm metal-free thankfully because its been a great mask)Getting the tension balanced is the key. Don't under tighten or over tighten the straps.  "Comfortably snug" is the key.  Smile
CA and OA decided to call HYOP and the 3 of them crashed RERA's place, and then the 4 of them decided to call Large Leak to meet in an Unclassified location while Rice95 had the best night of his life.

Bed         best sleep I've ever had...
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you again
Post Reply Post Reply
Watch out for back sleeping, as it can occur anytime during the night and effects can be pretty negative - from my personal experience. 

(See Aussie's CPAP reviews on REM sleep on Youtube)
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with Expat

Back sleeping I have found destroys AHI. I've since been a side sleeper for a year and have welcomed much better numbers, although it is tricky to stay off your back. Your body needs time to acquire the muscle memory needed to stay on your side. You need a comfortable mattress to absorb the shoulder pressure I've found and something like a sleep wedge to train you. I think I'm married to the wedges for a while. 

Good luck
CA and OA decided to call HYOP and the 3 of them crashed RERA's place, and then the 4 of them decided to call Large Leak to meet in an Unclassified location while Rice95 had the best night of his life.

Bed         best sleep I've ever had...
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes pretty negative impact on AHI.

The tongue can fall back under gravity, and block airways, result, higher AHI, increased flow limitations and general disruption of sleep, and especially apnea clusters in my case.

I had heard of the of the use of pillow wedges, but could not find them on the market here in France. I tried to fashion a buckwheat pillow to imitate the effect, but moved around too much, and very patchy results.

In the end I bought  an expandable chest brace witha Velcro fasterer. Then slipped 2 tennis balls an one fairly hard plastic ball in the brace's lining.

For me, works a treat..

Sleep-well

Result 

In short,
Post Reply Post Reply
Took those suggestions on board with back sleeping and have been side sleeping the last couple of nights. Really paid a lot of attention to fitting the mask last night with really good results. Won't get too carried away until replicated a few times but feeling encouraged. Thanks to everyone who clarified the problems I was having with this. Feel like there is some light at the end of the tunnel. So awful when the therapy goes off the rails like that.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Big improvement with the leaks. There is still some positional apnea, but not bad at all.
Let's see if we can make this a trend...
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Slushy - I see FFM has been suggested. Some folks have major leaks even with FFM because their jaw pops open when in deep sleep. So one other strategy is to try mouth taping. Although the last charts indicate large leaks are much less of a problem. Good job!
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be nice to see a screen shot in the "standard presentation" i.e.

1. Events

2.Flow Rate

3. Pressure 

4. Flow Limitations

5. Leak Rates

These are the key graphs to start with that give a fast overview of a night's results.

It is worthwhile spending some time understanding these, and how they are inter related and how any changes effect sleep quality. Starting with n°1 Events, and working down the list to N°5 Leaks.

Impact
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Respiration climbing higher michael9346 11 2,046 10-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Last Post: michael9346
  AHI & CA Climbing, Headaches, Mask Fit Declining, Feeling Awful eyeheartny 10 2,163 09-25-2018, 05:57 PM
Last Post: eyeheartny

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.