Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap inhale problem
Cpap inhale problem
Sometimes when I am just nodding off, I inhale and it feels like I am experiencing a pressure drop or resistance on the inhale.  I know its kind of a weird thing.  I do know I have a slight hose leak on the machine end of the hose and wonder if this could be the problem.

I am using a BMC nasal pillow and my machine is a prisma smart.  I am also a side sleeper.  

I will be going to the sleep lab on Tuesday for a checkup and will probably get a new mask (my coverage gives me a new mask every few months), but wondering if I have a nasal problem that I should see an ENT about.

Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap inhale problem
If  your pressure is 3.5-5 as stated in your profile, that may be your problem. Most feel starved for air at such low pressures.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed.  Some people come here stating that their low point is set at 4 and that they feel 'starved' for air.  The general advice is to raise that at least to 5 cm, and I just recently went into my settings and raised my minimum pressuret to 5.6.  I am happier at that minor increase in pressure.

If you are having the odd minor central apnea (CA), you may go up to 15 seconds without breathing, and by then you may partially awaken and find yourself drawing a deep breath.  The machine, set so low, can't really cover what you need at that low pressure, at least not quickly enough to help you.

Note that I'm not suggesting you ARE having centrals, but that it may be an explanation for what you are experiencing. Your sleepyhead data should show them when they do happen.  I get about three a night, even though my AHI is typically 0.7 and under.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto.
I run 8.5 minimum with EPR on 2.
Also, see if the next size up pillows will work. Medium P10 seals well for me, but feels restrictive. Large flows much better.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The first weeks on cpap I would check the operating pressure before taking the mask off to go to the bathroom or get out of bed.  From that I guessed what my minimum pressure while awake and not snoring or anything else.  So I raised my minimum from 4 to 8 and then finally 9.  EPR is at 2.  Now when I go to bed I sense a small positive pressure and have no sensation of trying to suck air through the hose.  I explained this decision to my respirologist and he agreed 100% with my decision.  Clinician access plus SLEEPYHEAD are your 2 closest friends.  A CPAP machine is like a new dress shirt.  It's just gotta fit right.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2018, 03:48 PM)CB91710 Wrote: Also, see if the next size up pillows will work.  Medium P10 seals well for me, but feels restrictive.  Large flows much better.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.  Large flows much better.  I'm female, and the attendant visually guessed "you look like a small".  Switched to medium the first night, and felt much less air-deprived.  Had a chance later to try a large  (they accidentally sent a male kit, rather than the female kit,  so it had a large in it)  and now I only use the large.  I'm also talking about the P10 pillows;  dunno about your brand.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,962 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,521 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,875 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 380 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 595 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 432 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 262 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.