Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI creeping up
AHI creeping up
I can't figure out why. I had been averaging about 1.3 for ~200 days, but the last couple of weeks I am averaging ~2.7, which (if you are willing to do the math) is over twice what it was. I can't find any factor that might have changed.

Not really alarmed by this, since I am still well under 5, but curious as to why. Maybe its normal. Or common.

New hose and mask replacement coming in a week or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI creeping up
when is the last time that you changed your cushion, headgear and all that goes along with your mask or nasal pillows just out of curiosity
Post Reply Post Reply
11 weeks ago.

Which is why I am looking to see if the replacements might affect any change.

But then, this will be the 3rd or 4th replacement cycle, and I only saw a slight creep up before each time.

True, 2.7 vs 1.3 is probably insignificant, but we all chase that zero, I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would venture to say that it is probably because your pillows, frame if you have one and the headgear need to be replaced. did you notice anything from your data when you look at it are your leaks higher anything like that? but still looking into the replacement of your supplies will probably help a whole lot I change mine every two weeks even if I don't think it needs it a lot of people try to get that 0 and that's not a bad issue as long as they don't become obsessed with it cuz you may be able to do it and you may not

Post Reply Post Reply
Also check your filters - if really dirty or incorrectly placed they will inhibit the air flow and that may tweak your results, but my guess is a combination of mask sit with lifestyle factors. And stop chasing 0 - it is a fool's errand and one which does not exist in real life.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2015, 10:33 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: 11 weeks ago.

Which is why I am looking to see if the replacements might affect any change.

But then, this will be the 3rd or 4th replacement cycle, and I only saw a slight creep up before each time.

True, 2.7 vs 1.3 is probably insignificant, but we all chase that zero, I guess.

I have been averaging a bit less than 1 AHI recently, but yesterday I got really clever and changed my minimum pressure support +1. Instantly shot the AHI to 2.74. FWIW, I reset my settings back and AHI was back to 0.9 last night.

It doesn't take much to increase AHI in the amount you're talking about in this thread. Even though it is twice your previous amount, it is still just one more event per hour.

What kind of events are making the change for you? Any changes in prescription or average auto-pressure results?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe you have been getting more REM sleep and that has prompted another event.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently changed my AFLEX setting (exhale relief) from 3 to 2, and my AHI increased.
Also set the resistance control from 0 to 3. I use a ResMed mask with a Respironics machine, and always had it set to 0.
Not only was it uncomfortable; but AHI shot upwards again. So I reset everything back, and this morning my AHI is down. I usually average between .5 and 1.0. But like Tyrone, my numbers were doubling. Probably physiological, but I like to see it under 1.0.

Also cleanliness of mask, hose, etc. makes a difference. Plus change filters when needed.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I faithfully change my fine particle air filter once every 60 days. The filter is really visibly dirty by then, jammed up with micro-particles and kind of swollen. I should probably bump it back to 45 days, but I'll tell you there is not a striking difference between the nights with new filter than the immediately preceding nights, maybe a slight noise level difference. I do think I push the envelope on the filter usage, so that surprised me.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2015, 05:40 AM)DocWils Wrote: ...And stop chasing 0 - it is a fool's errand and one which does not exist in real life.

Thanks, Doc.

Many do not understand when I post an ironic comment. Of course I see the folly in that; it was just me passive-aggressively commenting on exactly what you just said. Still, sage advice, as always.

But, that said, maybe real life does have its zero moments. I got a 0.1 last night, and have had 3 zeros in the past 6 months (so I am batting like ~ .016 on that), I just find it silly when people feel they have to start a thread about that; its sort of like when my cat is so proud that he killed a bird that he has to drag it in the house and show me. Ew.

I am complaining, but honestly have very little to complain about.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] AHI is creeping back up after addressing flow limitations Andeee 4 388 01-25-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Pressure creeping up test49 1 414 10-26-2022, 03:30 AM
Last Post: multicast
  My AHI's have been creeping up. Big Guy 7 1,371 02-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
Surprised [Treatment] Clear Airway Episodes Creeping Up Sheepish 13 3,324 03-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Ron AKA
  AHI creeping up lately mattmill 1 1,165 09-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Big leaks creeping in ppca 7 1,781 05-18-2017, 12:10 AM
Last Post: ppca
  [CPAP] AHI Creeping Up cadogan 56 7,672 03-16-2017, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Beej

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.