Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI & exercise questions
AHI & exercise questions
[size=large][size=medium]Definition: "The Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) is used as a measure of the severity of the condition known as sleep apnea. The AHI is the sum of the number of apneas (pauses in breathing) plus the number of hypopneas (periods of shallow breathing) that occur, on average, each hour. To count in the index apneas and hypopneas, collectively called events, must have a duration of at least 10 seconds.

The AHI, as with the separate Apnea Index and Hypopnea Index, is calculated by dividing the number of events by the number of hours of sleep."

1. I am new to this CPAP stuff (2 weeks) and my AHI varies 0.3-1.5. Since I am new I still adjust the mask/pillows a lot. I asked the nurse if the adjustment of the mask, the pulling away from my nose, could fake the machine into thinking its an AHI.....she said it could. My apnea is mild and I have the machine since my oxygen levels were 81 during the first sleep test. How accurate is this reading? Huhsign

2. Also I've read about doing exercises to strengthen the muscles in the mouth and throat. Has anyone tried any with good results? I really don't want to use this machine the rest of my life. Dont-know

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI & exercise questions
1. Adjusting the mask by pulling it away from your nose will cause a leak. This is not recorded as an apnea event by a machine, but it does record the leak. Your AHI results suggest you're getting very good treatment results, and SpO2 saturation should not be a problem for you. If you're concerned, there are data recording oximeters on the market you can buy. Probably a waste of time and money for you.

2. Exercises and even surgery are unlikely to eliminate your dependence on CPAP therapy. Some people have positive results from weight loss, but it's not a guarantee. Specific exercises to strenghen mouth and throat tissues have no documented success rate that I'm aware of.

Welcome to the club. You have a good data capable machine. Use that to your advantage.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2015, 07:47 AM)Exhale Wrote: [size=large][size=medium]Definition: "The Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) is used as a measure of the severity of the condition known as sleep apnea. The AHI is the sum of the number of apneas (pauses in breathing) plus the number of hypopneas (periods of shallow breathing) that occur, on average, each hour. To count in the index apneas and hypopneas, collectively called events, must have a duration of at least 10 seconds.

The AHI, as with the separate Apnea Index and Hypopnea Index, is calculated by dividing the number of events by the number of hours of sleep."

1. I am new to this CPAP stuff (2 weeks) and my AHI varies 0.3-1.5. Since I am new I still adjust the mask/pillows a lot. I asked the nurse if the adjustment of the mask, the pulling away from my nose, could fake the machine into thinking its an AHI.....she said it could. My apnea is mild and I have the machine since my oxygen levels were 81 during the first sleep test. How accurate is this reading? Huhsign

2. Also I've read about doing exercises to strengthen the muscles in the mouth and throat. Has anyone tried any with good results? I really don't want to use this machine the rest of my life. Dont-know

Thanks

Hi!

Just want to say welcome to the board! You and I it seems are in the same boat. I have been on CPAP since Jan 13th - my AHI ranges from .01 to .08 with most falling at .03 and .04.

I'm still learning too - I try to keep a journal each day so I can see if any correlations pop up - i.e., awakening to adjust the mask and then having a high AHI. One night I went right to sleep, didn't wake up once and had a 0.0 and 0L flow rate - I don't even know if that's a real reading - at first I didn't think the machine was even on. Rather than get too excited about it I just chalked it up as another night on the machine and hoping to maintain readings that are below my highest of .08. Its kind of like weight loss - don't let the numbers interfere too much with the progress you're making and how well you are feeling.

Tricia
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Exhale,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP therapy can take some getting used to, but it's the best treatment for sleep apnea. Just stick with it, it does get better over time.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Exhale,
Welcome to the Board. Your numbers are very good. Keep it up!

Before I started Therapy, I practiced throat excercises simply because I figured it couldn't hurt, not because I thought it might cure my sleep apnea. It did, however, help me in learning how to keep my tongue to the roof of my mouth to avoid lip leaks.
Now I do know of one person who lost a lot of weight, and was able to stop CPAP therapy. He had a mild case of apnea when diagnosed. I think that is probably rare to expect.

I know it can be hard to accept that we may be using CPAP for the rest of our lives, but I know in my case that I would not be alive in 5 years.

Best of luck to you.
Bed
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2015, 12:41 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Exhale,
Welcome to the Board. Your numbers are very good. Keep it up!

Before I started Therapy, I practiced throat excercises simply because I figured it couldn't hurt, not because I thought it might cure my sleep apnea. It did, however, help me in learning how to keep my tongue to the roof of my mouth to avoid lip leaks.
Now I do know of one person who lost a lot of weight, and was able to stop CPAP therapy. He had a mild case of apnea when diagnosed. I think that is probably rare to expect.

I know it can be hard to accept that we may be using CPAP for the rest of our lives, but I know in my case that I would not be alive in 5 years.

Best of luck to you.
Bed
OpalRose

I couldn't tell you how many times I woke up choking and gasping for air before this machine, but I can tell you since I've been on cpap I have not woken up choking yet,( I don't snore either Smile). I sleep better now than I have in the last 10 years... If the machine is what I need then so be it. ( I still want to loss weight though machine or not).
I've excepted it!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Very few people have reported much, if any, success with apnea exercises. I think most people end up not doing the exercise for very long, either.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Exhale! I'm new to the forum too! Hang in there and let the machine work. You may want to sign up for the "My Air" app on the resmed site. It will give you simplified daily feedback on how you are doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello all - thank you for your comments and concerns. One thing is my weight isn't a big issue as I am 5'4", 145 lbs and I would like to lose a few lbs but the doctors aren't concerned about the weight with the apnea. I have tried a new mask (see other post) and I try to keep a journal of some sort. I did sign onto MyAir which is a great resource. I also bought a pulse oximeter and use that occasionally but the less gadgets on me while I sleep the better.

I have to remember to check this forum more often too!
Thanks again Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,594 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.