Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI going higher
RE: AHI going higher
As I was going to make changes to my pressure and EPR settings, I noticed that the humidity may have been turned off. Last night, after washing and cleaning the hose in the morning, I turned humidity off in manual, and blew dry air through the hose for 30 minutes. That's always the final step of my cleaning procedure. Even though I turned climate control back to auto, I forgot to turn humidity back on from manual. I wonder if auto climate control adjusts humidity level automatically, regardless of the fact that it's turned off in manual.

Anyway, last night it felt somewhat dry. I wasn't as comfortable as usual, and I wonder if this may have somehow caused that increase in the number of Hypos.

Sleeprider, to answer your question, no asthma or any pulmonary conditions. I'll try to run again at 8, with EPR of 1, for one more night, and see if it gets better than last night. If not, probably back to 8 and 2, maybe even 9 and 3. We'll see.

Thanks for the feeback, folks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Murphy law.
Last night I slept using a nasal pillow headgear.  Only woke up once for bathroom.  No air blowing in my eyes, no burping air that I could detect during lighter sleep times, face comfortably positioned on pillow.  This morning I was so refreshed I felt I could run the Boston Marathon.  My AHI was 29+, large leaks detected etc.

Contrast last week with full face mask. Air was in my eyes, mask poking me awake, requiring re-positioning to reduce nose bridge pain, going to bathroom 2-3 times a night.  Woke up feeling like a truck had run over me,  taking short afternoon naps (never used to), falling asleep while reading.  But hey AHI was 12 or less.

Conclusion, better to be miserable and have a low AHI than full almost 8 hours refreshing sleep with high AHI!

Too-funny

If anyone is interested I could send the SD card file (40mb), but don't know if it could be imported into Sleepyhead for analysis.  Even then it stil all comes down to that darn mask perfect fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
I changed my settings to 8 cm H2O and EPR 1, and here's the result. The first part of the chart is a 2-hour nap, which I ran at 9/2, and then overnight sleep was at 8/1.

There's a large leak too (5.14%), but I'm not going to worry about it now. My 30-day average leak (over leak rate threshold) is 1.29%, and the average, since I started my therapy (almost 4 months ago) is only 0.83%, which is reasonably good.

I am thinking of going 9 cm H20 and EPR 2. Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
Go for it. That should help in clearing up your Hypos.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Increasing pressure to 9 and keeping EPR at 2 resulted with 0.58 AHI last night. Thumbs-up-2  Only 4 Hypos, with no CA's. It is just one night, but I'm hopeful that this may be the setting to go with.

However, leak rate was very high again (6.24%), for the second night in a row (5.14% last night). Could this somehow be related to the increased pressure? Here's a part of the last night's chart, showing an almost 15 minutes long leak. Not sure if this is a mouth leak, or maybe my mask being slightly pulled off by the hose, as I turn in bed. Thinking-about

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Second night with these settings (pressure 9, EPR 2) wasn't quite as good. AHI at 2.07, with 9 Hypos and 5 CA's.

I am also noticing the build up of pressure, which forces me to quickly open my mouth and puff the air out. Of course I'm only aware of this while I'm still awake, but it is more than likely happening when I'm sleeping too. I woke up a few times with very dry mouth, which was very rarely happening at lower pressures in the past.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,429 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 380 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 538 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 352 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Newbie here - do I need higher pressure or BIPAP? her.suit 0 295 12-29-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 565 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.