Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI going higher
RE: AHI going higher
(05-07-2017, 01:47 AM)ajack Wrote: when you wake up thinking you haven't got the mask on, but it is.... you know you are there
your senses wake up later than you do

This actually happened to me this AM. I woke too early and decided to doze for a while. I woke up again feeling a bit upset with myself for going back to sleep w/o my mask. Got up, and lo and behold I was wearing my mask! Darn all that self directed anger gone totally to waste. Whats a guy to do?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2017, 01:47 AM)ajack Wrote: when you wake up thinking you haven't got the mask on, but it is.... you know you are there

That'll be the day. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2017, 10:46 AM)ppca Wrote:

That'll be the day. Smile

For me every morning is with a smothering hand pressing on my face, and this is with the straps fairly loose (and leak rates way up).  I tighten mask like directions say but then I am awake more than asleep and feel lousy in the morning.  But this is just my babyish newbie whining. Rolleyes

My ideal mask and maybe other users, would be a strapless mask with Post it note type adhesive so you place it on your face, glue seals "perfectly", then peel off on morning, any adhesive washes off in shower.  I see ads for an adhesive to give a better seal, which is as good as it gets and perhaps I should invest in to combat leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I dropped EPR to 1, with no other changes. Don't know why or how, but last night I hit the highest AHI ever. It was 4.06, with only 1 CA event, but 21 H events, which is about 100%-200% more than I typically see. What am I doing wrong now? Maybe back to 2 with EPR?
Post Reply Post Reply
ppca,
The EPR will usually show up as CA's.  This is just a guess but try bumping your pressure up to 9cm and, based on your Flow Limits, I would set the EPR back to 2 or 3.  I am trying to reduce your Hypos(by increasing pressure) and Flow Limits (increasing EPR).  Another thought; This is just a one night snapshot.  You may wish to give it a few days. What are your thoughts?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I most certainly understand that one night's results cannot be used to draw any conclusions. It's just that right after I dropped the EPR to 1, I am seeing a pretty significant change. As you suggest, I should probably run at this setting for another few nights and see what happens.

In the meantime, I've gone through my SleepyHead history. By far the best results, with lowest AHI, were when I ran at 7.8 pressure and EPR of 3. I was typically seeing 2-5 Hypos and 0-2 CA's. However, that was also the time when I wasn't getting as much deep sleep, as now. At least, that was my impression, based on the more frequent awakenings.
Post Reply Post Reply
ppca,
Was your Flow Limit lower when your EPR setting was 3?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2017, 11:30 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: ppca,
Was your Flow Limit lower when your EPR setting was 3?

What exactly should I be looking for? When I checked those flow limit graphs, they look very similar to the latest one, oscillating between 0 and 0.50.
Post Reply Post Reply
For lack of a better description, mine looked like yours, or worse, without using EPR.  I referred to it as "5 weeks growth". When I used EPR it went down to a 5 o'clock shadow.  (I need to work on my vocabulary)

Look at your Clinician Menu->Options->EPR Inhale.  It has a setting of "Medium" and "Fast".  This determines how fast the S9 will return to the set pressure when inhaling while using the EPR.  I found that the "Fast" setting produced a blast of air that would cause sleep disturbances. Additionally, it made my mask pulse like a diaphragm between inhale and exhale thus becoming an annoyance.  Setting it to "Medium" produced a gentler feel. . . almost to the point that the change in pressure was undetectable and reduced my Flow Limit as well.

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
It's kind of unusual to see hypopnea increase, with a decreased EPR. I would certainly put it back to 2. You may have some issues exhaling against the pressure. You might even try the opposite experiment. Increase pressure by 1 and dial up EPR to 3. You might find this actually improves tidal volume a bit. Any asthma or restrictive pulmonary conditions?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 105 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,431 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 381 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 540 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 354 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Newbie here - do I need higher pressure or BIPAP? her.suit 0 297 12-29-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 567 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.