Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI going up - time to change mask cushion?
AHI going up - time to change mask cushion?
I've been averaging about 2.2 over a couple of months. Just lately it's going up a bit, not a big deal I guess at 3, 4 and the highest I think is 6.6. Could it be time to change my mask cushion? Don't want to if I don't need to. My old Profile Lite Gel masks would last a few years (unless the dog got at it). I"ve used this Wizard 210 cushion now for 3 months. What do you think?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI going up - time to change mask cushion?
I would replace it. It's good to have a spare and you will answer that question for ever. I know I have had different outcomes when I change parts.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect that a worn cushion would cause increased leaks, not a change in AHI - unless the leaks are significant and interfering with the therapy. Have your leak numbers changed, or just the AHI? If it's the latter then I think your problem lies elsewhere.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am finding some days where my leaks are higher. I see some days that are around 25 min and a couple around 45.

I also think I may be doing more sleeping on my back and along with it my pressures are going higher like around 14.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like your first effort should be to stay off your back!

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2016, 11:15 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Sounds like your first effort should be to stay off your back!

And maybe set it back up to 20 from 15.5 in case I need it if I'm on my back. Don't know, I presume if my mouth is shut that would work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lanco,
I know from experience that staying off your back sometimes is not possible, but I would not raise the max pressure to 20 unless you feel you need such a high pressure.

Does your pressure goes up to the max set now, and does it stay there for very long?

I ask this because ideally the max should be a couple cm. above the 90/95% number, but if you are bumping up to your max number frequently, then yes raise it. But raising it to 20 may cause you even more leaks than you are experiencing now.

Just a note on leaks....if you are leaking steadily throughout the night, then yes, you need to work on that. But if it's just a couple large leaks here and there because your mask is not sealing well or you moved during sleep and knocked it off kilter, then that isn't such a big problem.

As far as replacing cushions, I suppose it depends on the type of mask.
Cushions on pillow masks need changed more often than full face.

Good luck, I'm sure you will get where you need to be.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 0 92 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 548 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 228 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 144 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 755 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 144 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 457 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.