Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI gone a bit wrong
AHI gone a bit wrong
Hi All

I am new to the forum but not new to OSA. I was diagnosed in 2019 and have used the same machine (resmed airsense 10) and mask (f20) without any problems until April this year. Then things started to go wrong. Prior to April my events went above 5 once or twice a month. In April it was 16 times and the highest was 10. In May it was 29 times with the highest being 13.9 and June seemed to start off ok but looking at it now I have had 10 days over and the highest was 16.8.

So, what else has changed. I stopped taking amitriptyline in April and fluoxetine in May because I don't need them anymore. I got a mouthguard at the beginning of April to stop me gnashing my teeth and I have lost 26lb in weight since then too. We tried increasing the machine pressure from 8 to 12 but I was only tolerating it up to11.2. After 2 years of being stable what has gone so wrong?

My sleep clinic have no answers but have swapped my machine to a Resmed airsense auto with pressure range from 4-20 and I have started using OSCAR but I only have the data from 24th June when I started my new machine. OSCAR is amazing and such a good tool to understand what is happening. I am still getting used to the variations in pressure and wake up at least once a night and have to reset so the OSCAR data is a bit all over the place. Hopefully in a few weeks a pattern may emerge.

Has anyone got any insights as to why after 2 years of being fine things have I suddenly changed.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI gone a bit wrong
We would need to see a couple recent OSCAR charts.  Follow the Organizing link below.  It will show you how to organize a chart and post here.  

Without seeing data, we are only guessing.  The only thing I can say is you are using your machine with a wide open setting of 4-20, which is probably not optimal for you.  Depending on the "type" of events you are experiencing, your minimum pressure should be set somewhere between your median and 95% pressure  reading.  

Post some data... we can help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board. 

Even a day of OSCAR would give some insight. Please post. I have a link on charts and which ones would be helpful. There are many very knowledgeable people here that can and will help.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I have done a couple of charts from          the last week, hope these are okay
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks to me to be positional apnea. You are cutting off your own airway by getting in a position where your chin drops to your Sternum. Chin tucking can happen (but not limited to) sleeping on your back or sleeping on to high of a pillow. 

Many people have fixed this with the use of a collar. Please look at the signature for a link for a collar  It will show you people without a collar and the same people after they used a collar.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2021, 11:40 AM)staceyburke Wrote: It looks to me to be positional apnea. You are cutting off your own airway by getting in a position where your chin drops to your Sternum. Chin tucking can happen (but not limited to) sleeping on your back or sleeping on to high of a pillow. 

Many people have fixed this with the use of a collar. Please look at the signature for a link for a collar  It will show you people without a collar and the same people after they used a collar.

Wow, could it be somethng that simple? Will have a look at collars and try a lower pillow.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that we intend that you seek information about soft foam collars, not the rigid hard plastic kind a la EMT and you hanging out of a car window with the engine smoking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, literally that simple.  It took us a while to recognize the pattern and what it actually means, but it is one of the clearest and easiest calls we make.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board!  

Yes, a "not so tall" pillow, staying off your back if you are able, and a "soft" cervical collar that fits.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2021, 07:55 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Note that we intend that you seek information about soft foam collars, not the rigid hard plastic kind a la EMT and you hanging out of a car window with the engine smoking.

like I get the message Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 124 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Apnea Worse - What am I doing wrong? John Reston 8 567 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: John Reston
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,537 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
Wink Help my mom fix brainfog!!! - wrong machine settings? jra110 1 336 12-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  SD card unreadable Mac - what am I doing wrong? KLib 6 496 11-17-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: KLib
Question Resmed Myair wrong region bobdobbs 3 631 10-05-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is there something obviously wrong with my CPAP use? [pull off mask while asleep] Cpapaya 4 696 08-16-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.