Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI gone a bit wrong
RE: AHI gone a bit wrong
(07-03-2021, 10:23 PM)Gideon Wrote: Yes, literally that simple.  It took us a while to recognize the pattern and what it actually means, but it is one of the clearest and easiest calls we make.

Brilliant, thank you. My apneas do seem to happen nearly all at the same time so it makes sense that I am causing it somehow. I had another bout of Cheyne Stokes last night. Do I need to be concerned?(that's 2 in 2 weeks)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
First, that is very clearly NOT CSR!!!

ResMed reports all periodic breathing as CSR, but it is very rarely CSR.  OSCAR reports it as CSR only because that is what ResMed reports it as.

That episode is almost certainly a positional Apnea resulting from chin tucking.  The only fix for that is not with your CPAP.  It is some form of position modification.  Read the soft cervical collar wiki in my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2021, 11:16 AM)Gideon Wrote: First, that is very clearly NOT CSR!!!

ResMed reports all periodic breathing as CSR, but it is very rarely CSR.  OSCAR reports it as CSR only because that is what ResMed reports it as.

That episode is almost certainly a positional Apnea resulting from chin tucking.  The only fix for that is not with your CPAP.  It is some form of position modification.  Read the soft cervical collar wiki in my signature.

PHew!!!!!!  Thanks for that, I was a bit worried. I have ordered a soft collar today to try so fingers crossed by the end of the week I will be normal  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
update on Boxermum
So, as per your advice I have amended my pressure setting to start at 7 (was 4) and changed EPR to 1 (was off altogether). I have bought a soft collar which arrived yesterday, I adjusted it to fit me nicely and wore it last night. The previous 2 nights I had used a rolled up towel under my chin and there was a little improvement but 

Hey Presto, AHI last night was 0.3

Can't really believe it. I have attached the screen print from OSCAR and the difference to the previous ones I posted is immense. I have to thank you from the bottom of my heart, 2 years with the sleep clinic and they couldn't tell me what to do, you are amazing.

Anyone who has doubts about wearing a collar, try it and see, you have nothing to lose. I paid £8 for it so nothing really.

Post Reply Post Reply
Great, It looks like you are on your way to feeling better!  Congratulations.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: update on Boxermum
(07-07-2021, 05:09 AM)Boxermum Wrote:  2 years with the sleep clinic and they couldn't tell me what to do, you are amazing.

Its a bit like looking for a good "Pub" you don't ask the Restaurant Business association..  you ask the Locals where to eat..  

Sometime you just need to ask the people that have suffered before you..  The regular people.

Congrats..  Looks great.

Welcome
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: update on Boxermum
(07-08-2021, 10:52 AM)factor Wrote: Its a bit like looking for a good "Pub" you don't ask the Restaurant Business association..  you ask the Locals where to eat..  

Sometime you just need to ask the people that have suffered before you..  The regular people.

Congrats..  Looks great.

Welcome
Thank you. I spoke to my regular GP yesterday and he was more interested in talking about my sleep apnea and how I have changed things. Didn't want to tell him too much in case he told me about off about changing settings on the machine but I did mention the soft collar and he was suitably impressed by the advice xx?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI gone a bit wrong-update
Thank you for all your help so far, everything is looking much better. Just curious about one more thing. Up until April this year my pressure never went above 8 but now it often reaches 16-17. From reading the OSCAR manual it may be related to flow limit (if I read that correctly) and this in turn can be related to EPR?

My EPR was off and on your suggestion I have changed it to 1. Would it be helpful to raise it further? I have attached the last few days OSCAR data but only showing pressure and flow limit and the summary. I would be extremely grateful for your opinion on this.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes EPR is how to help flow limits. Your machine allows 1, 2 or 3. The higher the better, however there is a chance that increasing EPE could raise your centrals. They will go away as you get use to the change. You can go to 3 and see how it works for you and if you get many central move it down. Or start at 1 and move it up as you get use to the EPR.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2021, 01:34 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Yes EPR is how to help flow limits. Your machine allows 1, 2 or 3. The higher the better, however there is a chance that increasing EPE could raise your centrals. They will go away as you get use to the change. You can go to 3 and see how it works for you and if you get many central move it down. Or start at 1 and move it up as you get use to the EPR.

Thanks I want to get everything as optimum as possible as I have a telephone appointment with my sleep clinic next week, I want to prove to them that they should have done more as they seem clueless.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 114 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Apnea Worse - What am I doing wrong? John Reston 8 565 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: John Reston
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,530 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
Wink Help my mom fix brainfog!!! - wrong machine settings? jra110 1 334 12-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  SD card unreadable Mac - what am I doing wrong? KLib 6 494 11-17-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: KLib
Question Resmed Myair wrong region bobdobbs 3 625 10-05-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is there something obviously wrong with my CPAP use? [pull off mask while asleep] Cpapaya 4 693 08-16-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.