Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI higher on cpap than before therapy.
AHI higher on cpap than before therapy.
I have been using a cpap for two months. When I was tested prior to cpap, apneas were at 11. With cpap, AHI averages 17.5 for the month. It has been as high as 48 on a single night. I suspect most of these, or many, 
occur while I am still awake, wearing the cpap, and trying to fall asleep. I have tested this by lying quietly while wearing the cpap for two hours, and it seems to hold true. So that would mean I am holding my breath while awake? I am lucky to sleep even four hours on a good night. These high AHI numbers are puzzling. My machine automatically adjusts pressure from 4 up to 15. Any clues, anyone? Thanks!
Sweetpea
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI higher on cpap than before therapy.
Hi and welcome to the forum, Sweetpea!

People here will want to see some data in order to be able to pinpoint the problems with your therapy. Download the Sleepyhead software (link at top of the page) to start with. You'll need at least four posts before the system will allow you to post links here, so answer a few time and it will speed things up for you.

If you haven't done it yet, also download the manual for your machine so you can make adjustments. Do you have a sleep doctor that works with you? What do they say?
Post Reply Post Reply
While awake our breathing patterns are very erratic. Our breathing only becomes rhythmic when we are asleep. If you toss and turn during the night, chances are you will tense up and hold your breath each time you turn.  This can cause an event to be recorded because it may take a little longer than 10 seconds to get situated. I highly recommend that you get #SleepyHead and get a better picture of what is going on.

Look at my Useful Links below for more information about SleepyHead.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Because you are using a DreamStation you need to set your pressures to minimize time to respond to events. We need data to see when and what kind of ev e nuts you are having.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay! Download manual. Get sleepyhead. Three more posts, then download data. That's my homeork. And, yes. I am working with a pulmonologist through UCLA. His answer to the high AHI was, first, cpap doesn't work for everyone, and second, to call him if I would like the pressure increased which may help. I am hesitant to increase pressure since it already automatically Ramps to 15, though it has topped at 11 for me. Besides, it's like
waking up in a cold wind tunnel when the pressure ramps up. It vents onto my arms and hands. Brrr  Unsure
I can't thank you all enough for the help. 
Sweetpea
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh boy! Well, it sounds like your mask isn't fitting you well. So add that to your homework as well: read the Mask Primer (surely someone up-thread has it in their signature) and see if you can tweak your mask to not leak so much.

Also, if it's cold air, I have to ask... Are you using a humidifier? Do you have a heated hose? Those two can really help your comfort. Too cold of air, and I feel like I'm in the Arctic; too hot of air, and I feel like I'm breathing under the covers; but just right, and it doesn't feel like anything. :-)

P.S. Welcome! You sure are in the right place to get the support you need.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can post data now. Just add a space to the url but otherwise follow the links in my signature
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I do have a humidifier. No, I do not have a heated hose but it sounds like it would help. The temperature is not very adjustable on the humidifier. The air seems very heavy to breath if set above the first notch. But that may be because I live near the ocean. I was mainly using the humidifier hoping the vented air would not be so cold. I will see about a heated hose. The company I deal with for replacement items is worse than a nightmare, however, and I hesitate to contact them for anything. Wondering if I have to go through medicare to get a heated hose. Seems like a lot of "mother may I" goes on if they are involved.
There are no mask leaks noted. I am using a nose pillow which mostly is okay. It requires just a bit of tweaking at the beginning of each use. I will read the suggested articles. And work on downloading my data. Thanks!
Sweetpea
Post Reply Post Reply
Sweetpea,
Heated hoses are rather in expensive. May I suggest you consider ordering one from an online supplier and avoid your DME. I've found several items that were cheaper than what my copay would have been by buying online.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My copay for a heated hose was only $7.00.

The cheapest I found was on Amazon for around 35.00.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 23 939 1 hour ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 6 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,271 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,367 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.