Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI higher on cpap than before therapy.
RE: AHI higher on cpap than before therapy.
If it were me, I'd get to a sleep doctor for an overnight titration on an ASV type machine. this isn't working for you.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I think reset Flex back to 1. You did not display this level of CA prior to changing the Flex. Your reaction is not uncommon. I really think you need to set your minimum to 7.0 and maximum to 9.0. Your events in the past have been overwhelmingly obstructive. I'm not believing the most recent results change that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2017, 10:52 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think reset Flex back to 1.  You did not display this level of CA prior to changing the Flex.  Your reaction is not uncommon.  I really think you need to set your minimum to 7.0 and maximum to 9.0.  Your events in the past have been overwhelmingly obstructive.  I'm not believing the most recent results change that.

Sleeprider, the reason for changing the flex to 3 was to see if it would make exhaling any more comfortable 
and it did. I can change it back to 1 and set minimum pressure to 7 but then I need a trick so it does not feel like I am exhaling forcefully, which wakes me up. Any ideas, oh wise one?
Also, I only used the cpap for 15 minutes last night because I am experiencing bronchial irritation. I obviously did not fall asleep in those few minutes. I checked the AHI which showed 67.5 which is, of course, absurd. But it makes a point about all the other nights. It takes me two hours to fall asleep and in that time, the machine is recording these high numbers, which are not indicative of sleep time at all! Now it has me wondering if when I did the at home sleep study, and also spent considerable time waiting to fall asleep, those numbers may also be skewed. And that was my best AHI by far. Only 11. I feel like a puzzle taken apart. Any ideas how to put myself back together? Thanks!
Sweetpea
Post Reply Post Reply
yep. my settings would be raised to minimum of 6, and maximum of 9.

I would also do both the following at the same time:
1) place the machine on Auto CPAP mode, instead of APAP.
2) place the Cflex setting to highest = 3.

What this does is gives a similar setting to Sleeprider suggestion of 7-9 APAP with Aflex of 1, but a slightly different feeling. - it gives the maximum relief at the moment exhale starts.

also, at some point you have to be willing to trust that just breathing how you breathe will be fine. no need to force exhale. during sleep the brain give no signal for exhale, but lets the diaphragm just recover.

good luck.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't realise you still aren't using your CPAP all night. for me when I started, the rule was to keep the cpap on, no excuses. I made myself sit up to adjust or take off the mask for a minute, so I couldn't fall back to sleep without it.

until you can keep your mask on, adjusting pressure seems a bit futile to me. I would be tempted to set whatever you are comfortable with for a month. Then work on the AHI after you can keep it on all night. They say an ASV is harder to get use to than CPAP, so it would be worthwhile getting this right.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Ajack, I usually do sleep with it 'all night' but for me, that means only 4 hours. I could not sleep with it on last night because of the bronchial, and now throat, irritation.  I do use the humidifier with it. The same symptoms occurred in March, a couple weeks after I got the machine, but I just kept on with it in spite of the irritation and the fact that it interrupted what little sleep I was getting. That ended in a sinus infection that kept me off the machine for 2 weeks. I dont want to miss that much time again, so thought I would head it off early, if that is where it was headed.
I hate having it seem like I keep throwing a wrench in suggestions. I heed all suggestions, take them seriously, and really appreciate all the help!
Thanks, Sweetpea
Post Reply Post Reply
Qal, yet another surprise. I am not aware of an adjustment that allows me to change from Apap to Auto cpap. I will check it out. Thanks for thus information.
Sweetpea
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Sleeprider!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 26 972 7 hours ago
Last Post: BKeeper
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 21 602 10 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 61 2,257 Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  Therapy using Lumis 150 ST StuartC 135 7,146 Yesterday, 04:26 AM
Last Post: StuartC
  mallar's therapy thread mallar 4 82 03-17-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 203 8,290 03-17-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 13 699 03-16-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: marcinpiskala

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.