Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI higher on cpap than before therapy.
RE: AHI higher on cpap than before therapy.
I will look for a heated hose online, then. I'm wondering if the heated hoses weigh much more than the regular ones. Don't want to feel like I am dragging a firehouse when I move around.   Big Grin
Thanks!
Sweetpea
Post Reply Post Reply
Look into hose hangers. Some can be as simple as a hook on the wall or headboard or a pole unit that's base will fit between the box springs and mattress.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was originally "given" a non heated hose. Later, I was "given" a heated hose. I was quite surprised that I couldn't tell any difference between them, besides the endcaps on them.

No worries about a fire hose! ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2017, 08:57 PM)Sweetpea Wrote: I have been using a cpap for two months. When I was tested prior to cpap, apneas were at 11. With cpap, AHI averages 17.5 for the month. It has been as high as 48 on a single night. I suspect most of these, or many, 
occur while I am still awake, wearing the cpap, and trying to fall asleep. I have tested this by lying quietly while wearing the cpap for two hours, and it seems to hold true. So that would mean I am holding my breath while awake? I am lucky to sleep even four hours on a good night. These high AHI numbers are puzzling. My machine automatically adjusts pressure from 4 up to 15. Any clues, anyone? Thanks!
Sweetpea

Sweetpea, we get a surprising number of people here with a story just like yours, and most of the time they are the ones that develop "Complex Apnea" when using CPAP.  Complex apnea is often diagnosed as simple obstructive apnea during a home or clinical sleep study, but when the individual is put on CPAP, they have numerous central apnea and hypopnea events. 

There are some settings that can help these people better tolerate CPAP, but often they need a different type of machine called an Adaptive Servo Ventilator (ASV), which is a special type of machine.  Looks the same but works differently. We are going to need your #Sleepyhead data to see if this is your problem, or at least tell us, in addition to your AHI, what the breakdown of events is for OA, CA and H events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my try at downloading sleepyhead.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sweetpea,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It’s good that you came here for help, you have come to the right place.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine-tuned to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It's been a couple of months with the high centrals, I would think if they were going to settle down, it would have happened by now. When is your next doctor appointment? You may need another machine.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Sweetpea, what I said in post #14...consider it likely. Your CA events alone range 5-20/hour and your median AHI appears to be about 20.  You need to inform  your doctor that the therapy has not worked and the machine data shows routinely high complex apnea from 10 to 50 AHI.This is not effective treatment, and you really can't continue like this.  For your health and well-being, you probably need to be evaluated for ASV treatment. It's possible that we could help you get better results using very narrow pressure ranges, and no Flex. It would help to see the Daily Details data instead of the long term summary. The first link in my signature describes how to organize charts, and that is what we'd need if you want to try to optimize...

Otherwise, what do you want to know about central and complex apnea, and its treatment with ASV, that we can help you with?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3439]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2017, 08:57 PM)Sweetpea Wrote: I have been using a cpap for two months. When I was tested prior to cpap, apneas were at 11. With cpap, AHI averages 17.5 for the month. It has been as high as 48 on a single night. I suspect most of these, or many, 
occur while I am still awake, wearing the cpap, and trying to fall asleep. I have tested this by lying quietly while wearing the cpap for two hours, and it seems to hold true. 

As Sweetpea says she is awake for long periods while using her machine, I think it is very early to be talking about complex apnea and ASVs.
If you're not sleeping, the machine doesn't know, but keeps tabulating AHI. 
The same thing happened to me. It wasn't till I stopped trying to force myself to sleep with CPAP that my AHI came down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider. I am so appreciative of all the help I am getting here! I did manage to get one page of machine data posted,  but I used a pretty convoluted method that I do not wish to repeat again, even if I could remember it. Tomorrow I will try again with more pages. I am just so sleep deprived that everything seems difficult. I have to get this right. I feel as though my life really does depend on it sometimes. I had already wondered about a complex or central sleep apnea so I am not wholly surprised that you mention it. I do not snore. I do not have any excess weight; 5 feet 8 inches and 115 pounds. But I do know that I stopped breathing sometimes and would awake with a deep gasp of air. I take fewer breaths  per minute than most people.
Tomorrow will be better!
Sweetpea
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 155 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 252 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,263 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,341 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.