Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI higher on cpap than before therapy.
RE: AHI higher on cpap than before therapy.
(05-09-2017, 04:00 PM)Sweetpea Wrote:
  • I also tried sleeping with my head back on my ergonomic pillow, allowing for a more open airway. This caused my mouth to fill with air every 30 to 45 seconds. My nasal pillow did not leak at all. My mouth was not open,  but my jaw was not clenched, either, just relaxed. So I needed to open my mouth to let the air escape, which seemed preferential to swallowing it. I imagined should I fall asleep swallowing air, I might wake up on the ceiling, like a gas-filled balloon.

I use my tongue to block the air from filling my mouth. It's the same technique some are promoting for preventing mouth breathing. You basically place the tongue against the roof of your mouth, behind your front teeth, and slightly suck it back. Try it out, it works. Takes some practice to keep it that way when falling asleep though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2017, 07:44 PM)Russatrice Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 04:00 PM)Sweetpea Wrote:
  • I also tried sleeping with my head back on my ergonomic pillow, allowing for a more open airway. This caused my mouth to fill with air every 30 to 45 seconds. My nasal pillow did not leak at all. My mouth was not open,  but my jaw was not clenched, either, just relaxed. So I needed to open my mouth to let the air escape, which seemed preferential to swallowing it. I imagined should I fall asleep swallowing air, I might wake up on the ceiling, like a gas-filled balloon.

I use my tongue to block the air from filling my mouth. It's the same technique some are promoting for preventing mouth breathing. You basically place the tongue against the roof of your mouth, behind your front teeth, and slightly suck it back. Try it out, it works. Takes some practice to keep it that way when falling asleep though.

Russatrice, Ah, if only I could do that. Along with a radical neck dissection, they removed the forward half of my tongue. (was afraid that might come up sometime) I just lose suction when lying down flat. I could do it propped on a couple of pillows. Sorry for the detail.
Sweetpea
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2017, 02:39 PM)Marillion Wrote: Not sure what your flex settings (exhale support, comfort settings) are set at on your machine, but since I am not as familiar with your machine as others may be, I will let them comment on what you should set that at.  If you posted some fresh data from Sleepyhead it would be very helpful.

Exhale support? Comfort settings? I have those??
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2017, 09:13 PM)Sweetpea Wrote:
(05-11-2017, 02:39 PM)Marillion Wrote: Not sure what your flex settings (exhale support, comfort settings) are set at on your machine, but since I am not as familiar with your machine as others may be, I will let them comment on what you should set that at.  If you posted some fresh data from Sleepyhead it would be very helpful.

I'm just gobsmacked that the Doctors and the DME haven't educated you about this.  You have multiple medical problems and they should at least give you instructions as to what your machine can do!  I assume that the doctors think *PAP therapy is best for you even with these problems, but how can they not take the time to help you learn or at least show you where to go to learn.

But, yes your machine has these features.  Why were you no told about them?  It's almost as if you were purposely set up to fail.  Don't let them make you fail!
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
The way I've heard the tongue technique done, and how I do it is to put the back part of the tongue up against the back molars.

So maybe this would be doable for you, Sweetpea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasn't told anything, by either of my 2 DMEs, about the flex/exhale settings. I was told "use the ramp" and "use distilled water in the humidifier", and sent on my way.
Post Reply Post Reply

Eureka!! THAT must be why I was having the problem exhaling. I found " flex" and set it on "3".  It has been on "1" all along. I am excited to try it out. Thanks! Goodnight.  Big Grin
Sweetpea

Fresh data tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2017, 10:32 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:

I'm just gobsmacked that the Doctors and the DME haven't educated you about this.  You have multiple medical problems and they should at least give you instructions as to what your machine can do!  I assume that the doctors think *PAP therapy is best for you even with these problems, but how can they not take the time to help you learn or at least show you where to go to learn.

But, yes your machine has these features.  Why were you no told about them?  It's almost as if you were purposely set up to fail.  Don't let them make you fail!

eseedhouse,  Fail? Just another challenge. And with all of you behind me, I look forward to it.
Sweetpea
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all? Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Charts from Wednesday May 10

[Image: fTCJvnj.png]
[Image: LlEdq8V.png]
[Image: QEkPijA.png]
[Image: QLh3OXy.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Charts for Thursday May 11
[Image: 6EmCA7w.png]
[Image: srh8WJN.png]
[Image: PkENuzV.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 25 990 2 hours ago
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 843 Yesterday, 09:53 PM
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 178 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 260 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,272 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,367 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.