Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI higher upon first falling asleep
RE: AHI higher upon first falling asleep
rdavis, when you say first getting to sleep, do you mean right at the start, or just a little time in? If it is right at the start, it could be that the machine it mistaking your slow breaths trying to relax and fall asleep for events. I used to do a few nice, long clearing breaths to help settle in...but they'd flag as either centrals or hyponeas.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2015, 09:46 AM)rdavis Wrote: I can post a screen shot of my sleepyhead results for a particularly rough night; however, I'm not exactly sure how to do that. When I try to insert an image, it asks for a URL. Is there a way to directly upload an image into a post?

I didn't see a reply to this part so I figured I'd do so as this threw me off a bit at first too. The 'Insert image' button is for inserting a URL to an image as you have found. The way to do it directly is this:

1. Scroll down to below the edit section and look for the Attachments section.
  2. Click 'Choose File' to choose the screenshot you have already saved to your computer.
  3. Click 'Add Attachment'.
  4. Scroll back down to attachments and you can then click 'Insert Into Post' to insert a thumbnail into your post.

Hope this helps! Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2015, 11:17 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: non-event arousals (ones not scored as apneas) are often associated with first several minutes of sleep. Tidal volume at this time is higher than in "sleep" and can be the cause for resistance while getting ready to breathe in more monotonous rhythm. You are also more easily aroused when you are in light sleep, which is your first stage. I have issues for a few minutes when I am getting used to lying down, but that would only be for my going to bed, not during the night upon waking [unless I sit up for a bit].

You can lie down with mask on and hose disconnected for a few minutes before you actually hook up. But, beware you are apt to fall asleep in that mode. So, better to just put up with those sleep-onset events.

QAL

Good to know. But, is it normal for these events to wake me up every few minutes for, say, an hour or two? I'm talking about a period of time much longer than a few minutes.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2015, 01:00 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: rdavis, when you say first getting to sleep, do you mean right at the start, or just a little time in? If it is right at the start, it could be that the machine it mistaking your slow breaths trying to relax and fall asleep for events. I used to do a few nice, long clearing breaths to help settle in...but they'd flag as either centrals or hyponeas.

Oh, good catch, PsychoMike. I thought of that too! But there are definitely some "real" events happening because they will wake me up intermittently, so I know it's not just the machine "mistaking" waking breaths for events.
Post Reply Post Reply
I should also add that these events upon falling asleep were not happening as much in the first couple months of my therapy (according to Sleepyhead) and on the rare occasion when they did happen, they weren't waking me up. I was SO frustrated to be freed of the "jumping awake" sensation for two months only to mysteriously return to it.

During the first 2 months of therapy, I had AHIs as low as .2 and .5 on a somewhat regular basis. My AHIs have crept up to around an average of 2 now, with the vast majority happening in the first hour or two of sleep and leading to plenty of waking. It's really starting to bother me because I can't figure out what changed.

Also (not to be a bother) but if anyone has advice on how to talk to your doctor about what you see on Sleepyhead...I've found that doctors tend to look at your overall AHI, just glance at the rest, and not be interested when you say that you've looked at your nightly readings IN DEPTH and have questions/want to discuss.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is another way to post your images. This method will also work on other forums that don't host images, and it doesn't limit the size of the images. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

Sleep onset apnea is pretty common, and it can be a consequence of using too low of a minimum pressure in APAP or the use of ramp that delays providing theraputic pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: My doctor ordered my minimum pressure on the auto machine bumped up a bit, so now it's going to be basically the pressure that I spend 90% of the night at. I'm really hoping this will cut down on the problem (and I notice that several of you have mentioned that as a possible culprit). I'll let you all know. Thanks for the support!
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=1353]Here is a screenshot of my SleepyHead results for one of the nights where this was bothering me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 130 36 minutes ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 267 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 830 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,868 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 391 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.