Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI increase? UARS Titration help?
Help with settings for BIPAP? (UARS)
I have the ResMed Aircurve VAuto 10. It's a BIPAP machine. Since my doctor retired and the new one is pretty much useless and thinks I should just be taking sleeping pills, I am in need of setting the machine up myself. However, I am not sure where to even start with settings. Can someone guide me with this? I am new to it.

I was diagnosed with UARS by the original doctor, he recommended CPAP or BIPAP. My symptoms are extreme, I can hardly live a normal life, I bump into things, cannot walk alone outside (it's like being drunk and I've nearly been hit by cars many times, and people think I am drunk or acting strange). I'm desperate to fix this.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with settings for BIPAP? (UARS)
Without having detailed sleep data we would be flying blind.  Please download OSCAR [Download link here] and make sure you have an SD card that is 4 to 32 GB in size.   Please review the links in my signature and then provide a screenshot (using F12) of your Daily screen.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wouldn't I need to already be using the machine for this to be of use? I have not used it yet. I just got it. It was recommended by my doctor but then he retired and the replacement doctor says I just need sleeping pills. So...I have not yet used it at all because I don't have any way to know where or how to start.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a copy of a sleep study to post here? Sorry, just noticed it above.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A generic setting would be

Min 4
Ps 4
max 20

Try those tonight and post tomorrow using OSCAR. be sure the address card is in the Cpap when you sleep. We can then help make adjustments. You
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2021, 11:59 AM)staceyburke Wrote: A generic setting would be

Min 4
Ps 4
max 20

Try those tonight and post tomorrow using OSCAR. be sure the address card is in the Cpap when you sleep. We can then help make adjustments. You

Just to be sure....do I use the machine first with SD in, then take the SD out and I use OSCAR on my computer to look at that data?
Post Reply Post Reply
You make sure the write protect switch on the SD card is slid toward the connector end of the card. Insert the card into your machine, then use the machine. Insert the card into your computer’s SD slot or adapter and select the SD import function. You need to have a profile set up first in OSCAR so install OSCAR and set up your profile.
Post Reply Post Reply
If this is a used machine, please perform a factory reset to make sure all settings are in the default setting. You have no way of knowing what the previous user has done.

Mode: Auto
Min EPAP=6
Max IPAP=20
PS=1

These are different from the above because I want to see your Flow Rate curve to look for flow limits with a minimal amount of support. PS=4 will minimize any flow limits. This is to confirm your assumption of UARS.

Hint, as a stomach/side sleeper try to keep your mask over the edge of your pillow.

What is the basis for you calling it UARS?
The typical tell is a high RDI and a low AHI. Your sleep test, unless I missed it, did not address RERAS.

Charts
Use F12 to take your screenshots, it removes the calendar and pie chart thus presenting us with more data.

Always include a full night screenshot as it provides context plus data

Also provide several random 3-minute zoomed segment screenshot as this will allow us to check for flow limits, the root basis of UARS.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2021, 07:59 AM)Gideon Wrote: If this is a used machine, please perform a factory reset to make sure all settings are in the default setting.  You have no way of knowing what the previous user has done.

Mode: Auto
Min EPAP=6
Max IPAP=20
PS=1

These are different from the above  because I want to see your Flow Rate curve to look for flow limits with a minimal amount of support.  PS=4 will minimize any flow limits. This is to confirm your assumption of UARS.

Hint, as a stomach/side sleeper try to keep your mask over the edge of your pillow.

What is the basis for you calling it UARS?
The typical tell is a high RDI and a low AHI.  Your sleep test, unless I missed it, did not address RERAS.

Charts
Use F12 to take your screenshots, it removes the calendar and pie chart thus presenting us with more data.

Always include a full night screenshot as it provides context plus data

Also provide several random 3-minute zoomed segment screenshot as this will allow us to check for flow limits, the root basis of UARS.

I was diagnosed with UARS by my former doctor. At first he put it down as ''possible'' but he told me he was convinced this was what I had, due to the number of arousals (44), but no apneas, and he said the nasal trace showed significant resistance. I've just been suffering ever since because I moved far away and then he retired, but I am just going off what he said, which was that he felt it was UARS.

What I attached is all I have from the sleep study. I am attaching the physical examination notes he made. Other than that, he just wrote about my symptoms of extreme fatigue and memory loss. Everything has worsened extremely since then.

I will try what you mentioned. The machine is new.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I suspected UARS based on the 44 arousals and no "Apnea" so I am on the same page as your former doctor.
I still would l'd like to see your results at PS=1, but without question, go to PS=4 on night 2. I'd like to use night 1 to show you what to look for.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 7 108 34 minutes ago
Last Post: Daveman
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 100 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 994 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 178 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 80 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 634 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 205 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.