Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI is 0.0 after switching to nasal pillows. Too good to be true?
AHI is 0.0 after switching to nasal pillows. Too good to be true?
New CPAP user here. Have been at it for about 2.5 weeks after a severe OSA diagnosis from a home test.

During this time, I tried 3 different masks trying to find a setup that worked for me. The first two were full face masks, which I thought I needed as I'm pretty sure I am (or was?) a mouth breather while sleeping. Before CPAP, I'd often wake myself up and notice myself breathing through my mouth.

As part of my quest for a comfortable setup, I wanted to try a nasal pillow mask as they're so much less invasive. Wasn't sure if it would work due to the mouth breathing thing. To my surprise, it worked perfectly. I don't need mouth tape or a chin strap or anything -- somehow, I just don't breath through my mouth (much) when wearing it.

I've had literally 0 AHI for 3 of the 6 nights on the pillows, including the last two nights. Flow limit is also considerably lower. Seeing 0.0 is making me wonder if this is a "too good to be true" thing -- could there be something wrong with the equipment, or the way I'm wearing the mask?

I'm attaching screenshots of the last two nights of these 0.0 scores, along with a somewhat typical night back when I was on a full face mask. Any advice is appreciated!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI is 0.0 after switching to nasal pillows. Too good to be true?
I would say lucky you.  If the machine was recording any measurable AHI previously, and now it doesn't, and you have the machine set for the type of mask, you're on your way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same thing for me. With Resmed F30 (“full face”), my AHI averages around 0.5 - 1.0. With the P10 pillows, most of the time - 0. Go figure!
Post Reply Post Reply
What's more important is, if you feel better rested. Do you feel that you are getting better quality sleep? If so, you're on your way. For me personally, it's the blood pressure reading in the morning that usually correlate to if I slept well. When I feel groggy, it's likely that my blood pressure will be high.

Also, look at the snore section, it's showing that you are snoring. I don't know how snoring is detected.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hooray! Take "yes" for an answer. Wish it was that simple for many of us.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 71 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,764 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 203 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 147 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 320 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.