Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI is getting worse. Having more centrals
Gross 
AHI is getting worse. Having more centrals
Hello. I don't really know where to begin. I've been on cpap for about a month now. Started with the Quattro Air face mask then switched to the P10. About a week ago I talked to my sleep dr. about my CA's and waking up feeling out of breath. The dr. turned on the EPR and set it to 3. The next morning my AHI was 1.03. I had 6 RERA's and only 5 CA's but felt like crap. MY AHI (4.56, 5.66, 5.31, 11.11, 18.8) has gone up since then with more CA events every night. Last night my AHI was 18.8 and I had 158 CA's. I feel like crap. The attached screenshot is from last night. Is there something I can do to lower the CA's or is it just going to take more time to get use to the machine?

[attachment=3177]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI is getting worse. Having more centrals
Hi Amdx64. Welcome to the Apnea Board from a fellow Vermont resident.  Since I am originally from NJ I can't call myself a "real Vermonter".  To get to your question, your Centrals are most likely caused by your machine.  If you look at your Sleepyhead charts you will notice the high leak rates surrounding the groupings of CAs.  What is happening is that the leaks are washing out too much CO2 making your body believe that you have done enough breathing.  Work on your mask fit.  You may not be able to use the nasal pillows because you are probably bumping them out of place.  I tried the nasal pillows but I couldn't control the leaks.  I use a nasal mask for this reason.  You will be hearing from more of us shortly.  Good luck with your treatment and stay in touch.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
I would suggest taking the EPR back out (set to 0). For some people having a different inhale and exhale pressure can wash out CO2 excessively, and result in these central apnea. It is important to reduce this event rate, and the only thing that makse sense right now is to take the EPR out of the equation. It's interesting your doctor increase EPR when you were having CA events. If they are not reduced significantly by going back to zero EPR, you may have complex apnea and need a different therapeutic approach.

What were the results of your sleep study? Were central events present? Did you have a titration study?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did not have a titration study just a overnight PSG. The report says my AHI was 11.5 and RDI was 11.5. Frequent OH events and occasional OA,CA,MA and PLM's. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The thing that jumps out at me is the steep pressure increase (caused by OAs) just before the centrals. I wonder if increasing the IPAP to 9 or (eventually) 10 wouldn't reduce the (pressure change induced) centrals. As for eliminating the Pressure Relief, I may be an anomaly, but reducing or turning off EPR makes my AHI go way up.

Both possibilities need to be checked, but only one at a time. With my sensitivity to EPR, I would raise the pressure first.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was much better. Banana I turned off the EPR and increased my minimum pressure to 7.  AHI was down to 5.8

[attachment=3178]
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the clump of CA's around 6:20am considered sleep wake junk?
Post Reply Post Reply
Big improvement and very encouraging. That cluster obviously affected AHI a lot, but most of your night looks pretty good. I would hold pat on these settings for a while. It's probably not possible to determine the cause of that cluster, and would require a greatly zoomed in screenshot to see the waveform. Since there is just the one episode, I'd worry a lot less about it than if that was going on like the night before. Note, your high pressure was only 8.67, so the machine is reacting to an indication of obstruction or flow reduction in raising pressure. Mostly it seems pretty stable just over 7.5.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider is this close enough?

[Image: 0yUQs62l.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: VvQrAfel.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 50 1,175 03-16-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 272 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 5 398 03-14-2024, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 214 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 8 268 02-26-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,957 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 315 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.