Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI is getting worse. Having more centrals
(05-18-2017, 07:09 PM)Amdx64 Wrote: Well it's been awhile. Though I would just give an update on how things were going. Had my appointment with my new sleep doctor and it went great. She listen to everything I had to say, looked at the data I had brought from sleepyhead and agreed with me that an asv was the proper machine for my ca's. So now I am scheduled for a ekg and asv titration.   Dancing

Glad to hear you got a  new competent doctor and are on your way to effective treatment.  The ASV journey is often long and winding.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am late the party and have all but given up trying to get AHI down, but interested in the ASV, as I meet with sleep doc June 1st..  However I found an article by ResMed and unsure if I understand it ie using ASV may be detrimental to your health if you don't have heart problems, OR this a a good all around machine especially for central apnea (assuming doc thinks this is problem of my high AHIs), light years removed from my Respirionics Aflex machine.

http://www.resmed.com/us/en/news-and-inf...comes.html

I assume my machine technology and ASV are apples and oranges.
Post Reply Post Reply
ASV therapy is not recommended for people suffering from Congestive Heart Failure ans who have an ejection fraction under 45%. An echo cardiogram is usually given to those who are going to get an ASV machine to confirm a high enough ejection fraction.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post from Imgur

Post Reply Post Reply

(05-24-2017, 03:52 PM)CPAPreturnee Wrote: I am late the party and have all but given up trying to get AHI down, but interested in the ASV, as I meet with sleep doc June 1st..  However I found an article by ResMed and unsure if I understand it ie using ASV may be detrimental to your health if you don't have heart problems, OR this a a good all around machine especially for central apnea (assuming doc thinks this is problem of my high AHIs),  light years removed from my Respirionics Aflex machine.

http://www.resmed.com/us/en/news-and-inf...comes.html

I assume my machine technology and ASV are apples and oranges.

Risks pertaining to ASV apply to a relatively small cohort of individuals suffering from congestive heart failure with left ventricular ejection fraction less than 45%, based on the possibility of sudden cardiac death.  This unexpected study finding has essentially translated into all ASV candidates being screened for CHF and low LVEF.  ASV was previously the favored technology to address the central apnea and Cheyne-Stokes Respiration problems common in CHF.  More study is pending on that.

For the rest of the world, there is an important role for ASV in treating complex and central sleep apnea.  About 3-15% of OSA patients will develop central apnea when treated with positive pressure (CPAP).  Many of those patients eventually adapt to CPAP and are well treated. Others are unable to tolerate CPAP pressure and must treat ASV using either bilevel with a backup rate, or the far superior ASV approach.  ASV today includes automatically adjusting EPAP (exhale pressure) to target OSA, and uses pressure support to increase inhale pressure (IPAP) to cause a breath to be taken in the event of a central or increase the breath rate during hypopnea. No CPAP machine can do that.  The ASV works on a breath by breath basis and  regulates the breathing rate and volume to prevent nearly all periodic breathing, hypopnea and apnea in treated persons.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  centrals jerry1967 11 414 08-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Feeling Worse Rowdy1 1 198 05-20-2017, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  high number of centrals lionel197 5 345 05-19-2017, 05:23 PM
Last Post: bonjour
  Feeling Worse Rowdy1 4 263 05-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
Question How Long Before Centrals Subside hartikka 28 2,303 04-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Last Post: richb
  Mouth leaks getting worse, is FFM my only option? Hockenberry 10 1,135 03-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Leemax
  centrals after starting cpap Leemax 3 350 03-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Last Post: srlevine1