Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI is rising and don't know why
AHI is rising and don't know why
All,

The last couple nights my AHI is rising and trying to figure out why.  I was diagnosed as mild/moderate sleep apnea.  When I am on my cpap I was typically around a 2 ahi.  I noticed two nights ago I got up to 10 and then last night was 6.  I am screen shot oscar results.

I was hoping to get some help.  Is it possible mask leak and due for replacement.  Pressure need adjustment?  Any thoughts.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI is rising and don't know why
It looks like to me - positional apnea. That is when you sleep in a position where you cut off your own airway. It is what is known as chin tucking. It happens when your chin tilts down to your Sternum and your airway is cut off. NO PRESSURE SETTINGS will help. You must find out why you are chin tucking and stay out of that position. 

You said this just started, did you change pillows that are higher, more fluffy?  Did you start sleeping on your back?  It could be that simple. 

Or you may need to use a collar (see the link at the bottom of the post). The link has charts of the same person without a collar and with a collar.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
This is very interesting because I noticed the bridge of my nose there's redness.  I like sleeping on my stomach so I wonder if this is cutting off my circulation or something.  I don't have a new pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are a stomach sleeper you can still chin tuck. You might try using your pillow to support your chin bu bunching up the pillow a little between your chin and chest
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  I will try your suggestion tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great news.  I bought a soft cervical neck collar at my local medical supply store.  I am happy my ahi had gone down.  Now, I can work on getting my ahi down to <1.0.

I am attaching my oscar charts for any other suggestions.

Post Reply Post Reply
So we can see everything a little better look at the bottom of the post for cart organized And post again
Post Reply Post Reply
Please let me know if this is better.

Post Reply Post Reply
The setup helps thanks. 

You seem to have 2 problems and they take different approaches. 

1st you have a high pressure 12.2 and maxing out to help that I would raise the upper up to 14. I hope to limit the large apnea(O).

You have about the same amount of central AND centrals sometimes worsen with a larger difference between upper and lower pressure so this MIGHT increase them. The problem with centrals is that they are inconsistent- one day you have some other days not many. So I don’t know how your increase in upper pressure will effect your centrals. But we will look at that tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I did noticed my 95% 12.28 is close to my max of 12.40. I was thinking of upping it tonight. I can try upping it to 14. I appreciate your help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA rising - help SFLGuy 3 471 06-18-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: SFLGuy
  [Treatment] AHI suddenly rising and feeling tired calferreira 1 397 06-06-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: calferreira
  [Pressure] BIPAP Pressure Setting Help rising AHI VanWrinkle 0 411 03-25-2023, 09:40 PM
Last Post: VanWrinkle
  Rising leak rate during REM sleep Phil7 6 808 10-12-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Phil7
  AHI starts rising after many years of control YinzerBoy 1 574 07-14-2022, 02:12 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
  Summer is coming, Temps are rising Allessio77 18 2,763 04-29-2018, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  AHI rising? txrpls 4 1,453 04-05-2018, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.