Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI is rising and don't know why
RE: AHI is rising and don't know why
I bumped it up to 14 and it seem to got worse last night.  Perhaps dropping it back down to 13.  I am attaching my charts.  I am still using the soft cervical collar.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I know you are using a collar but you are still having positional apnea. Again pressure does not do anything. You have to get a better fit of the collar or many a little higher one. 14 was a very small pressure change and it may need to go up a little more not down. But the main thang is getting the collar to fit
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I did order a new collar as the velcro was killing me last night. So, if I see three marks close together in OA then it's positional apnea. I am basically cutting off my air based on my sleeping position?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes grouped events show positional apnea. Finding the right collar is like finding the right mask - sometimes it takes a few tries to get one that works for you
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  I will try some different collars.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried another soft cervical collar and had a tough night.  Perhaps I can try a different sleep position.  I know I just tend to roll over on my stomach to sleep.  Unfortunately, I can't control it.  I was thinking of trying a body pillow.

Post Reply Post Reply
On your pressure chart you can see between 330 and 530 you were sleeping without cutting off your air. Take a look at it. You can see the pressure is lower and no events. Again as you can see the higher pressure did no good, as I wrote in the first post no settings on your Cpap can help - the only thing you can do is find away to stop getting in that position. 

That is good news you know the therapy works. Keep trying you will find a way!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep.  I agree with you.  I will try the sleep position approach using different pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
I rarely sleep on my stomach but when I try, it's really uncomfortable with the collar. I've been pretty successful at training myself to avoid sleeping on my back so it can be done. one solution to avoid back sleeping is some variation of the old sewing a tennis ball onto the back of your pj's; I don't see why something like that in front wouldn't work to keep you off your stomach. while it takes some getting used to, the collar isn't too bad supine or side sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
I decided to try an experiment and sleep on my side.  My oscar charts look much better and ahi is down.  I guess my positional apnea is when I lay on my back.  I am attaching my charts.  I can definitely feel more awake today.  I typically still feel tired when I wake up but not today.  I was reading through some other threads that people trained themselves to sleep on their side by putting a tennis ball or object to their back.  This way if they do roll over it will wake them up to move back to their side.  I never really thought of it.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA rising - help SFLGuy 3 470 06-18-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: SFLGuy
  [Treatment] AHI suddenly rising and feeling tired calferreira 1 397 06-06-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: calferreira
  [Pressure] BIPAP Pressure Setting Help rising AHI VanWrinkle 0 410 03-25-2023, 09:40 PM
Last Post: VanWrinkle
  Rising leak rate during REM sleep Phil7 6 805 10-12-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Phil7
  AHI starts rising after many years of control YinzerBoy 1 574 07-14-2022, 02:12 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
  Summer is coming, Temps are rising Allessio77 18 2,754 04-29-2018, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  AHI rising? txrpls 4 1,452 04-05-2018, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.