Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI, leaks, sleeping on your side or back
AHI, leaks, sleeping on your side or back
thanks for helping Still adjusting

this is the best apnea in the world

2 questions

1-ahi 5 or less means no significant air leaks yes no
2- read where if your mouth opens with air gushing out (have chin strap)
the pressure is still too high
3-read where sleeping on your side keeps ahi lower then on your back
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI, leaks, sleeping on your side or back
jxyzobrien,

1. The AHI is based on recorded events. A leak can interfere with an event being sensed. An AHI of less than 5 is just a gauge point set by someone to help quantify severity of apnea. How a person feels is a better determination. I've had nights were my AHI was extremely low because I never entered a deep sleep and I felt it the next day. I've then had nights were my AHI is above the normal and felt great the next day because I really was getting a good deep restful sleep. A problem I've see with the AHI number is it doesn't fully take into account the length(severity) of an event. My CA's usually last about 10 to 11 seconds, which is no big deal. If I had the same number of events but they lasted 30 or longer seconds each, the AHI would be the same number but I would diffidently have a problem. I was guilty of being a number chaser in the beginning until I realized that the AHI value alone was just one attribute to aid in gauging my treatment.

2. An open mouth can show up at higher pressure but can also be caused from a stuffy nose. Usually a pressure induced mouth opening will subside in time as your body becomes acclimated to the pressure. My personal experience is that nasal pillows will better overcome a stuffy nose as opposed a FFM or nasal mask but a FFM addresses my pressure induced openings better. Again, that's just my experience. (Note: Please complete your profile so we may see the equipment that you're using.)

3. Side sleeping does lower AHI. (Please note: I'm really simplifying this)When you sleep your body relaxes. The soft palate area that collapses to cause apnea(OA's and Hyp's) is located in the front of the throat. Sleeping on your back causes gravity to allow this area to drop to the back of your throat, closing off or restricting your airway. While side sleeping, the same thing happens but because the soft palate is trying to fall to the side and not directly to the back, it lessens the airway occlusion, thus reducing related OA's and Hyp's.

I hope this has properly addressed your 3 questions.

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI, leaks, sleeping on your side or back
(08-18-2016, 08:08 AM)jxyzobrien Wrote: thanks for helping Still adjusting

this is the best apnea in the world

2 questions

1-ahi 5 or less means no significant air leaks yes no

Neither. Air leaks and AHI are only connected in that when you are leaking more than the machine can compensate, the machine can give false positives (say an event is happening when there is not one) or miss an event altogether.

Quote:2- read where if your mouth opens with air gushing out (have chin strap)
the pressure is still too high

Not really. If you are sleeping in a position where your mouth is going to open (like on your back) or if you are a natural "mouth breather" in your sleep, pressure doesn't matter. The pressure needs to be where it needs to be to stop events from happening. If there are leaks, then a mask adjustment needs to be made, not a pressure adjustment.

Quote:3-read where sleeping on your side keeps ahi lower then on your back

Typically true. It all comes down to gravity. When sleeping on your back, gravity is going to pull the tongue and the surrounding tissue down toward the back of your throat and contribute to the collapse of the airway. But with a CPAP machine set to the proper treatment pressure, it should be able to compensate for sleeping position. You'll still have a few more than usual while sleeping on your back, though. This is where an auto-titrating (APAP) comes in handy!

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 35 3 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 371 4 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 14 274 4 hours ago
Last Post: EasySleep
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 8 887 9 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 70 4,428 Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 155 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 121 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.