Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI levels (Nasal Pillows vs. Full Mask
AHI levels (Nasal Pillows vs. Full Mask
I have a Remstar Pro with humidifier, been on it for almost 2 years. I started out with nasal pillows and it was making sores on my nose but AHI was 1.6 to 6 range. They set me up with a Quatro Mirage full mask and my AHI is in the high 30's to 40's. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI levels (Nasal Pillows vs. Full Mask
Hi Premier1949,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you should want to go back to a pillows mask, you could try getting some HPA Lanolin cream, (found in the baby isle of most stores,) and swav a "LITTLE" bit into your nostriles with a q-tip and that should help with the irritation and it will possibly, give you a better seal.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It makes little sense, unless you have enough blockage in your nose or collapsing nasal walls. In such cases, since nasal pillows keep the air passage open in the nose that masks do not, you might see a change in your AHI level. Leaks of course will also show odd results. Either way, the jump you describe is massive and you should see your MD on this.....
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2013, 04:57 PM)Premier1949 Wrote: I have a Remstar Pro with humidifier, been on it for almost 2 years. I started out with nasal pillows and it was making sores on my nose but AHI was 1.6 to 6 range. They set me up with a Quatro Mirage full mask and my AHI is in the high 30's to 40's. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Nasal masks works better for most people, Try Trish suggestion HPA cream
Give it few more days as you get used to this mask. Full face mask makes me feel uncomfortable and claustrophobic

Whats the clear airways portion of total AHI

Your machine report total, vents leaks plus excess leak, so if you,re spending some time in large leaks that would invalidate the data

Look at SleeyHead, see when events occurred, spread thru the night, clustered, or as you about to fall asleep or on waking up in the morning

I had days with high AHI, usually when my nose congested or air feel cold
The right humidity setting is important, maybe more needed with full face mask as one tend to breathe thru nose or mouth

Post Reply Post Reply
It could be the full face mask is leaking and giving the machine bad results.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you need to try several masks, the one you have may not be working for you.
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2013, 04:57 PM)Premier1949 Wrote: I have a Remstar Pro with humidifier, been on it for almost 2 years. I started out with nasal pillows and it was making sores on my nose but AHI was 1.6 to 6 range.

Was that the only reason you switched to a FFM?

Quote:They set me up with a Quatro Mirage full mask and my AHI is in the high 30's to 40's. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

You might want to try a hybrid mask and some lanolin on the nostrils.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on CPAP for over two years now.
I have switched to a different mask almost every time I have been allowed to get a mask.
I did not like nasal pillows because they irritated my nostrils.
I tried the Sleepweaver and Sleepweaver Elan and liked them both. The Elan was better than the original. The problem I had was my nose would get stuffed so I am now trying a Quatro FX FFM. It is less comfortable and friendly than the Elan but solves the issue of a stuffed nose. I WILL use and get used to the FX and probably switch back and forth with the Elan depending on how often my nose is stuffed.
The best mask I tried was the "No Mask". A custom molded dental appliance that supports the nasal pillows with no head gear or anything in front of the eyes. The sore nostrils were the downfall.
I doubt there is one good answer for anyone, let alone for everyone.
The perfect answer would be to stay young and healthy and fit, and not require CPAP at all.
CAN I PLEASE BORROW YOUR TIME MACHINE.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if trying a Nasal Mask might be worth a try?

I started out with a Full Faced Mask, tried Nasal Pillows, back to Full Mask, and have switched to a Nasal Mask with good results.

A full month now with good values and better sleeping.

Because you were able to use Nasal Pillows, you will most likely be able to use a Nasal Mask........... (ie mouth breathing issues)

Using a Nasal Mask you would not have any sores in you nose.......

Cool

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,756 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,600 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,223 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.