Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI low, what else could be making me sleepy?
RE: AHI low, what else could be making me sleepy?
That is incredibly interesting and makes a lot of sense.  I'd sort of assumed that I was breathing but really "working" hard to do so and that's why sometimes I'd wake up feeling physically drained.  It's fascinating to see it and hear what is likely going on.  I did order the Autoset so I'll give that try.  The Vauto is about double the price so if I get some good results with the Autoset I'll likely splurge a little down the line for the Vauto.  

Thank you so much for the information.  I don't know where the passion to help people out like this comes from, but I'm so glad people like those of you who are on this forum are out there!
Post Reply Post Reply
I switched back to full mask and upped the pressure to 11 min last night.  Had some leaks I'll address.  Not sure if the flow rate looks better?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
sleeprider has a LOT more experience with the flow limits that I but I would like to see the full graph without the zoom.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Attached the full view.

Post Reply Post Reply
Pressures look good and your events are pretty good also.. The Leaks need to be looked at.  Was it a mask leak that can be adjusted or a mouth leak? (did you wake up with a very dry mouth)

All in all pretty good, was your sleep any more restful?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
It was leaking out the sides, no dry mouth, so I need to tighten it up a bit.  I generally sleep on my side so sometimes it just moves the mask slightly off-center and that's when it was leaking.  I generally feel less zombielike today though so that's a great start!  I'm excited to try the other cpap as well!
Post Reply Post Reply
Circling back to the zoomed flow rate, we still see that the peak flow is reached shortly after inspiration starts, then slows.  Ideally we would see the peak flow increase to just before exhale begins.  When we see that flat or downward sloping top, that represents more work to achieve the respiratory volume you need.  More effort for diminishing returns in flow is why you're tired..

This is a really good graph, and I see you found the dotted line for zero-flow.  You have a very free-flow during expiration, and we can see a fairly long pause at zero flow after expiration completes and before the next breath is taken.  The Philips machines get the time of inspiration/expiration in the summary statistics completely wrong as all the time below or at zero is part of expiration, and only the time with positive inspiratory airflow is inspiration.  One reason for this is Philips Flex returns to CPAP pressure before expiration is complete and inspiration begins.  Once you get the Resmed you will see a big difference in that statistic, and in how it feels. It will be interesting to see what this graph looks like with EPR at 3. The Resmed also accurately graphs and measures flow limitations as it is a major part of the Autoset algorithm, and when it is detected, the Autoset will kick the pressure higher.  Just turn off the monthly calendar by clicking that triangle in the date-line, and you will look like a pro.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=27691]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:"One reason for this is Philips Flex returns to CPAP pressure before expiration is complete and inspiration begins."

That is so true.  I've always noticed how it doesn't seem in step with my breathing pattern.  What you are saying overall just makes so much sense based on how I feel.  Your analogy about the milkshake was pretty eye-opening and I think it helps explain why even though I can breathe better after the septoplasty that it's almost worse in some sense.  It's like now I labor even harder because I can pull in more air into the same shut airway, probably forcing it to shut even more than before. 

I am very excited to try the Resmed and to get the additional data.   As soon as I have a night with the Resmed I'll be sure to post the updated chart.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got my Resmed last night.  Attached is are updated charts.

The data seems almost too good to be true...is it?

I'm including zoomed data as well, does the chair shaped, flat-topped, labored breathing pattern I was previously getting look better now?  It does seem to have a different shape vs past charts with the Dreamstation.  I'm including two sections, one still seems to have the flat tops?

Post Reply Post Reply
I should also note that I started taping my mouth shut over the last couple of nights which is reflected in the resmed charts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 586 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 828 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 584 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 172 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 559 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.