GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

AHI, machine pressure & leaks ??
Can someone teach me how a low leak rate and moderate machine pressure translate into a higher than normal AHI number?

Each morning I check my machine's display to see what the ahi, leak rate and average machine pressure were the night before. I usually have low leaks, a machine pressure towards the low end of my range but almost always have a higher ahi rate (for me). My ahi isn't bad (3.5) but before summer it was 0.8 or lower. Is the ahi influenced by seasonal allergies or what does make the ahi change from night to night. This has been going on for several weeks.
07-30-2015 05:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: AHI, machine pressure & leaks ??
Maybe a good idea to post some of your data from SleepyHead here and see what the folks think.

Wink

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
07-30-2015 07:08 PM
Terry Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips Respironics RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P)
Mask Make & Model: P/R Nuance & Pap Cap
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: Auto

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
(07-30-2015 05:16 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  Is the ahi influenced by seasonal allergies

Yes, allergies will raise it, as will acid reflux, alcohol, and I believe some of the "sleepy" types of antihistamines.
07-30-2015 08:44 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(07-30-2015 07:08 PM)Shastzi Wrote:  Maybe a good idea to post some of your data from SleepyHead here and see what the folks think.

Wink

I would try and do that except I'm "technically challenged" and don't know how. Thanks anyway.
07-31-2015 08:08 AM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

(07-30-2015 08:44 PM)Terry Wrote:  
(07-30-2015 05:16 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  Is the ahi influenced by seasonal allergies

Yes, allergies will raise it, as will acid reflux, alcohol, and I believe some of the "sleepy" types of antihistamines.

No alcohol and no acid reflux that I know of, but plenty of seasonal allergies and antihistamines. I sometimes forget to take the allergy tablets so maybe I better work harder on remembering.
07-31-2015 08:10 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Let Me Sleep Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed Autosense 10
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 6-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
[/quote]

No alcohol and no acid reflux that I know of, but plenty of seasonal allergies and antihistamines. I sometimes forget to take the allergy tablets so maybe I better work harder on remembering.
[/quote]

My AHI dropped nicely when I switched from my claritin pill to the Flonase allergy spray. It seemed to clear up the nose much better, it took about 4 days to see benefits. Good luck.
07-31-2015 03:20 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

[/quote]

My AHI dropped nicely when I switched from my claritin pill to the Flonase allergy spray. It seemed to clear up the nose much better, it took about 4 days to see benefits. Good luck.
[/quote]

Never considered 'switching' to Flonase allergy spray. Strange that you would mention it, but Flonase is sometimes used by people like myself who are diabetic and use an insulin pump. An insulin pump requires what we call an infusion set which is like a 'temporary' IV. There is a very small adhesive patch with a teflon cannula. Some people, including children, are very sensitive to the adhesive on the patch and the parent puts Flonase spray on the skin, lets it dry and then inserts the infusion set. I am also one of those people who get irritated by the adhesive but never tried the flonase. Thank you for sharing your idea, very much appreciated.
07-31-2015 03:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is it worth dropping pressure to get over leaks rich2905 19 1,244 11-16-2016 02:38 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
Question CA's, Mask type, and leaks/vent Rcgop 10 360 11-15-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,230 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Leaks (Too high?) sleepytimegal 9 409 11-06-2016 09:58 PM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Move alot and getting mask leaks HELP christinaleigh 10 513 11-06-2016 03:15 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  [Pressure] Adjusting pressure on RESmart CPAP machine garyd86421 5 430 10-20-2016 10:32 AM
Last Post: garyd86421
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 6,001 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader