Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI, machine pressure & leaks ??
AHI, machine pressure & leaks ??
Can someone teach me how a low leak rate and moderate machine pressure translate into a higher than normal AHI number?

Each morning I check my machine's display to see what the ahi, leak rate and average machine pressure were the night before. I usually have low leaks, a machine pressure towards the low end of my range but almost always have a higher ahi rate (for me). My ahi isn't bad (3.5) but before summer it was 0.8 or lower. Is the ahi influenced by seasonal allergies or what does make the ahi change from night to night. This has been going on for several weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI, machine pressure & leaks ??
Maybe a good idea to post some of your data from SleepyHead here and see what the folks think.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2015, 05:16 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: Is the ahi influenced by seasonal allergies

Yes, allergies will raise it, as will acid reflux, alcohol, and I believe some of the "sleepy" types of antihistamines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2015, 07:08 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Maybe a good idea to post some of your data from SleepyHead here and see what the folks think.

Wink

I would try and do that except I'm "technically challenged" and don't know how. Thanks anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2015, 08:44 PM)Terry Wrote:
(07-30-2015, 05:16 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: Is the ahi influenced by seasonal allergies

Yes, allergies will raise it, as will acid reflux, alcohol, and I believe some of the "sleepy" types of antihistamines.

No alcohol and no acid reflux that I know of, but plenty of seasonal allergies and antihistamines. I sometimes forget to take the allergy tablets so maybe I better work harder on remembering.

Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]

No alcohol and no acid reflux that I know of, but plenty of seasonal allergies and antihistamines. I sometimes forget to take the allergy tablets so maybe I better work harder on remembering.
[/quote]

My AHI dropped nicely when I switched from my claritin pill to the Flonase allergy spray. It seemed to clear up the nose much better, it took about 4 days to see benefits. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]

My AHI dropped nicely when I switched from my claritin pill to the Flonase allergy spray. It seemed to clear up the nose much better, it took about 4 days to see benefits. Good luck.
[/quote]

Never considered 'switching' to Flonase allergy spray. Strange that you would mention it, but Flonase is sometimes used by people like myself who are diabetic and use an insulin pump. An insulin pump requires what we call an infusion set which is like a 'temporary' IV. There is a very small adhesive patch with a teflon cannula. Some people, including children, are very sensitive to the adhesive on the patch and the parent puts Flonase spray on the skin, lets it dry and then inserts the infusion set. I am also one of those people who get irritated by the adhesive but never tried the flonase. Thank you for sharing your idea, very much appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 245 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 143 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 109 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 505 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 772 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.