Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI means nothing
RE: AHI means nothing
I feel very grateful for this Board and its member comments.  I felt sleepy all the time during the day for the first 63 years of my life, and since starting CPAP 6 yrs ago, have been awake when I want to be during the day.  Recently, by paying attention to the mask leak numbers and getting a newer Resmed, I also got a full face memory foam mask, which has resulted in needing 1 to 2 hours less sleep and still feeling refreshed in the morning.  Without the mask leak numbers, I never would have realized how much more benefit I could get from CPAP. So, yes, at least sometimes, numbers can be truly useful.  On the other hand, the stupid smiley face icon on the Resmed machines is next to useless! <g>
Post Reply Post Reply
Numbers are VERY important, BUT they only take you so far.
Step 1, Bring numbers into some level of normalcy
Step 2. It's all about enabling comfortable sleeping and comfort for the user.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gideon, I am interested in your role with OSCAR in that I asked a question that does bear on "numbers" within OSCAR--but I haven't gotten a response from anyone yet and you seem like the right guy to ask!  I want to understand the use of the automatic cleanup feature for Oximetry in the Data Dropdown.  What is the cutoff, can it be changed in code, what happens to the data, i.e. why is so much of the data on desats lost when this is feature is employed?  I received wise counsel to basically ignore my own momentary desats as long as everything else is looking good and I am, most importantly, feeling refreshed in the morning.  But from a data point of view, I am still curious about the Automatic Cleanup's implementation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was pretty good, tried 5.5 pressure, 2 on C-Flex, best I've felt in a while. The AHI was much higher than it was when I tried 6.5 on a different night but the following day I "woke up on Mars", feeling like I almost didn't know up from down. 

Tonight maybe it well not go as well. I know numbers mean a lot, I don't mean to say they are not important.
The only thing different last night was I discovered 3 fairly large mold patches growing in the ceiling corners of the bedroom. I cleaned them off with a diluted bleach solution. I'm very mold aware and run dehumidifiers all summer.
Don't know how I didn't notice the mold before. These are some of the potential effects of mold on sleep quality.

I had a few of these. 

• Watery, itchy, or red eyes

• Runny nose

• Congestion

• Wheezing, sneezing, or coughing

• Skin rash

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to learn what OSCAR data means and I need help understanding my flow limits emmylouwho 13 1,641 04-21-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: emmylouwho
  I think this means I’m not so bad? honeybadger79 4 3,260 05-30-2018, 08:12 AM
Last Post: honeybadger79
  New User, Can somebody tell me what this means? mussussu 9 2,825 05-02-2016, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Ed1101
  ASV - Need to know what it means & what machines treat it bwexler 5 2,755 10-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  not sure what a Respiratory Therapist means by these... twindad 6 3,944 09-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Bernie
  med. necessity form--what it means Dawei 0 2,142 09-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Dawei

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.