Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI most iimportant number?
AHI most iimportant number?
Hello all,

After using a Resmed Mirage Micro for the past 20 years or so, I changed to a full face mask, resmed F30i.  I became tired of having to tape my face up to stop mouthbreathing, having to shave every day or the tape wouldn't stick, etc etc. (Yes, tried all sorts of chin straps including one I had to sew myself).  While using my Airsense 10 I was generally getting scores of 95+ most nights, with my AHI hovering between 1 - 4.  With my new full face mask, I never get a decent score on the "mask leak" section, usually losing between 5 & 10 points each night. My AHI however remains quite low.  Last night, I lost all 20 points on the mask-leak score, however, my AHI was 1.5 again.  As long as my AHI remains low, does it matter that the masks leak?  Over the years I've tried other full face masks and had terrible leaks but didn't have a machine that kept track of AHI.  So, should I just not worry about leakage as long as AHI remains good?  

Thanks for the opinions!

Best,

Philip
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI most iimportant number?
It depends.
  • You have an established history of a 'satisfactory' AHI (this is subjective)
  • leaks are not interfering with sleep (not blowing in eyes or elsewhere that would hinder sleep or promote arousals)
  • Large leaks are only a little over large leak levels and are not interfering with the reporting of events.
  • A realization that if you are asking this it is your comfort that you are watching, not your numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Show us an OSCAR standard daily Detail chart then we can see what the leak data tells us. I do know the ResMed machines have a leak redline of 24. As you approach this redline, and even more after crossing the threshold, accuracy of therapy is more compromised and the machine loses the ability to compensate. So leaks are important to track and correct when needed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
trying to figure out this "Oscar" thing. I started young with CPAP, never had a prob with it so never really kept up with technology.
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR is a free report tool that takes the data your CPAP creates. Data needs to be saved in an SD card that's in the slot on your PAP before you sleep. We can help interpret the data when you show us a daily detail screenshot that is Attached to your post.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
See attached

Thx!

Attached Files
.csv   OSCAR_Philip_Summary_2021-12-24_2021-12-26.csv (Size: 651.43 KB / Downloads: 9)
Post Reply Post Reply
Please show the screenshot, not the download.
Post Reply Post Reply
*** Moderator Note: Corrupted image removed. ***

Images can not be hosted from a personal computer. Please upload them either to the Apnea Board server, for CPAP related images only, or use an image hosting service. For help in attaching images, please review Attaching Images and Files on the Apnea Board.
Post Reply Post Reply
PB9003-- if you look at Gideons post, just before your last post, see and click on the links "Download Oscar" -- also click on "Organize Charts". Also, look at other peoples posts and you'll see examples of Oscar screenshots.
And the AHI is an important number, but "how do you feel" is even more important.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 504 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Number of Events? Heaviside 8 365 02-12-2024, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 REF Number The Mask Bandit 2 223 02-05-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] New to APAP. High number of "Clear Airway events". Not sure what to do. lujojo 17 1,174 01-30-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: lujojo
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 358 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Same number of events with or without the mouth guard I got to treat sleep apnea? hejohoo 0 400 08-27-2023, 10:12 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Daytime fatigue w/ lower AHI, higher number of CA quartet3424 6 1,140 07-17-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.