Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI number
AHI number
Hello all,

New to CPAP, just finished night three. In reading I've seen many with very low AHI numbers. From my sleep study my number was 114. Night one, the number dropped to 22.2, night two dropped to 17.4, night three dropped to 7.7.

Should I expect this to continue dropping until I get something <1 and is this normal? Usage is ave. 7.5 hours with good mask seal. Slept straight through the night on both nights 2 and 3. Feeling much better already.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI number
I think you are doing great. What does Sleepyhead say about the breakdown? edit: I see you say you are not using software. You really should start using sleepyhead. It will let you know what is happening, which is really important to your ongoing therapy to know what is happening. It gives you very detailed info, but it is easy to read from a pie chart what your breakdown is. You can also see on a graph what events are happening and when, your air leakage, snoring etc.

New users can experience "clear airway" apneas which is when your brain forgets to breath, vs your throat closes up somehow.

I would expect you can get between 1 and 4, with perhaps the occasional less than 1, and slightly over 5.

You had an extremely high number (114), so it will be a nice relief for you to have 7.5 and less.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OB-Left,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like your AHI is coming down nicely.
The docs like for you to have it below 5, but it should come down some more as you use your mask and machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post, keep up the good wor,, and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You're off to a great start OB, congrats on that.

The dropping over the last few days does sound like CA's that tend to reduce by themselves as your cute little body gets accustomed to its new bfcpap machine. So for now just keep doing what you're doing for a few days and see where you level out. As Player says, your 7.5 has to be a nice relief for you, but you can and will do even better.

Get the software!
Post Reply Post Reply
What R_G said. Keep up the great work and do not be in a big hurry to make changes.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't focus on the number. Expect less than 5, but don't be upset if you never get to <1. Zero is not necessarily normal, even for very healthy folks.

Focus on how much better you start to feel.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2015, 09:41 AM)OB-Left Wrote: New to CPAP, just finished night three. In reading I've seen many with very low AHI numbers.

And you see some well-informed CPAP users who can't get their AHI much below 5.

Quote:From my sleep study my number was 114. Night one, the number dropped to 22.2, night two dropped to 17.4, night three dropped to 7.7.

That's fantastic progress, and it is something often seen.

Quote:Should I expect this to continue dropping until I get something <1 and is this normal? Usage is ave. 7.5 hours with good mask seal. Slept straight through the night on both nights 2 and 3. Feeling much better already.

The fact that you're feeling better is more important than getting the AHI below 5. With an untreated AHI of 114 you are lucky to be below 10, and even more lucky that you can sleep and that you feel better. If you can get below 5 you should thank your lucky stars. Getting from 114 to 7.7 is astounding. Keep using the machine every time you sleep, all the time you are sleeping. Nothing is more important to the health of your cardiovascular system and to your psyche.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2015, 05:25 PM)Sleepster Wrote: The fact that you're feeling better is more important than getting the AHI below 5. With an untreated AHI of 114 you are lucky to be below 10, and even more lucky that you can sleep and that you feel better. If you can get below 5 you should thank your lucky stars. Getting from 114 to 7.7 is astounding. Keep using the machine every time you sleep, all the time you are sleeping. Nothing is more important to the health of your cardiovascular system and to your psyche.

Night four was on the road as I had to attend my son's graduation. I guess I'm thanking my lucky stars, as the AHI was at 3 this morning.

Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome. Congrats
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2015, 06:17 PM)OB-Left Wrote: Night four was on the road as I had to attend my son's graduation. I guess I'm thanking my lucky stars, as the AHI was at 3 this morning.

It's nice when something works like it's supposed to, isn't it?

You're going to need to collect a month or so of data but the trend is certainly in the right direction. REM sleep is a wonderful thing.

You do want to download the software and start looking at the data once you have some time on the machine and your body adjusts to sleeping with it. It's impossible to get the correct pressure adjustment dialed in with one night at the sleep center.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 513 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Number of Events? Heaviside 8 365 02-12-2024, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 REF Number The Mask Bandit 2 230 02-05-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] New to APAP. High number of "Clear Airway events". Not sure what to do. lujojo 17 1,176 01-30-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: lujojo
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 361 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Same number of events with or without the mouth guard I got to treat sleep apnea? hejohoo 0 408 08-27-2023, 10:12 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Daytime fatigue w/ lower AHI, higher number of CA quartet3424 6 1,147 07-17-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.